Frame Length Question

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

Frame Length Question

Post by iggyskier »

Currently in the process of getting all of this started....

I had a question about the ski press frame length.

I plan to make skis that are between 180-190cm in length.

What size frame would I need to provide adequate space for everything? I had plans all ready to go to make a frame, but the length of the frame is only 200cm. I don't think this is going to be enough length for skis 190cm long.

So.....anyone have an idea of how long I need to make it or if 200cm will be long enough?

EDIT: Can now make the frame 230cm. I believe this will be long enough, but input from anyone else would be appreciated.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I think our main beams are 7' (213cm) long. With the end I beams, it limits the amount of space we have to work with and makes getting the end of the firehoes in a pain. I think the longest skis we can make now are probably 185 cm.

-kelvin
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

the 90" tubing seems like it will be long enough. That is what I am going with.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My press is an end loader that is 8' long. The idea is that I can make skis up to about 230cm if I wanted to! So far, most of my skis have been in the 190-200cm range, and there is lots of room to work with in the press.