UK / Euro Ski Builders!!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

parlor

UK / Euro Ski Builders!!

Post by parlor »

Hi Guys,

I've been glued to this site for the last few weeks and need to make some skis. (Although I found the site months ago and couldn't stop thinking about it). Good work by Kam et al and thanks to the posters on here that make me realise that this is doable.

Together with a few guys from snowheads.com we're hoping to build a pressurised ski press and then knock out a few pairs of skis over the summer.

I've already PM'd a few of you who have confessed to being based in the UK (for the summer at least).

Can anyone help us out with sourcing base / top sheet material and ski edge profile? Ideally enough to allow us to do some testing and then make at least 4 pairs of skis. With economy of scales we'd be happy to buy enough materials to make 10(ish) pairs of skis - again all depending on price...

So far we've found edge material but the smallest amount was a 65kg roll so it ruled that out.

We're happy to ship from the Europe and at the right price from the US. Has anyone had experience of this?

Any one got the goods on this?
*london based ski builder - beers & chats always welcome*
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Hi Parlor,

Great that you're also going to build your own ride!
I live in Delft, the Netherlands, so we are neighbours :)
I just bought the materials for my press today, so hopefully this summer I will build my first pair of skis as well :)

About the materials:
We (me and a friend who builds snowboards) already have contact with some suppliers for edges, base/top materials and damping rubbers. Also I found a local supplier of UHMWPE materials if you want to use this for your sidewall.
We are planning to buy about 40-50 kg of edge material soon.
So if you want some, please send me a PM with how much you would like to have (17 - 20 meters is approx. 1 kg).

I also hope I will know something more about base materials soon (costs about €8,50 / m of 33 cm width, excl. shipping from America)
Topsheet is approx. €15 per pair of skis (or meter by approx 30 cm, I'm not sure... and excl. shipping) including sublimation.

Hope this is useful for you!

Buuk
Last edited by Buuk on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mutombo

Post by Mutombo »

Keep some materials for us Buuk. I hope in two or three weeks we´ll finish our first pair. Then I´ll tell you the amount of materials we need (specilly edges and base). If we are enough people we could buy it cheaper!
parlor

Post by parlor »

Thanks Buuk. I've sent you a PM with amounts. I hope you can help!
*london based ski builder - beers & chats always welcome*
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

hey there, i live in Australia, which isnt that close to you at all! but i would reccomend snowboardmaterials.com

we purchased base, topsheet, and the edges from them. They are based in the US. And they ship world wide. Delivery to AUS was 1week or so, so that was great. each edge is roughly 180cm and costs around $2.5USea, great quality edges and even tho they are from a snow board site, they are exact the same as ski edges.

cheers and good luck
SCHÜSS 2011
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

I am arranging a deal for edges from Austria at the moment, probably with the same company Lindsay from snowboardmaterials gets his edges from.

I called the company yesterday and the edges are sandblasted and coated (for bonding), hardness is 48 ±2 HRC (standard in ski industry). These edges will cost about 1,5 euro per 2 meters. They will send me exact details today they said.

Edges of 1,80m from SBM are also to short for me, unless I will make a seperate tip section...
Also if I order in America I will have too pay:
(price of edges + shipping) * 1,19 * 1,04
This are taxes and inport rights we have to pay ( because we import to the European Union) that make it even more expensive.

So nothing wrong with SBM at all (except the prices maybe ;) )
But this is why I am going to buy the edges myself :)

I will keep you informed about further details.

Buuk
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Hi,

Got some more info, but not all I wanted, they misunderstood me and gave me the price for 4 to 5 kg instead of 45 kg...

But I got some more info about the exact type of profile.
Please let me know if this type is what you need!

And please let me know if these are standard/good dimensions, just to be sure that the dimensions are not to small. I read at http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44 that the cross section should be between 1,2 - 1,5 mm x 1,2 - 1,5 mm , but the bigger (2,5 x 1,6) the better I should say (as the little extra steel doesn't add that much weight)

PB

Post by PB »

Did you have any luck getting any edges from that Austrian company ?

Any chance you could send me some details if so.

Cheers

Paul