How the Pro's do camber

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powderho

How the Pro's do camber

Post by powderho »

My friend gave me a Go-Pro camera he found this summer at Snowbird after the snow melted. The memory card was full of videos from the Nordica factory. Almost all the vids were horrible and didn't really show much, but this one was pretty interesting.

If he really is bending the skis that easily I can't imagine them not bending from normal skiing abuse. There has to be some metal in there allowing this to happen. Maybe he isn't really adjusting anything but just getting the initial flex-creaking out of it?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Can't really here what the guy is saying very well other than bending the ski.... Question is why? Looks like a production shop, wonder if it's just quick flex test, hard to say.
powderho

Post by powderho »

Ya, the footage is from the Nordica factory--full on production. At one point he checks the camber with a little gauge of some sort. He must be tweaking them into tolerance.

Here's another video that makes you think WTF? Is that some sort of binding mount plate?

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, pretty interesting stuff. Definitely looks like a re-enforced binding area. Not sure what the material is before he covers it's it with what looks like FG. Are they random videos or sequenced in anyway so they would make sense?

Checkout 14-21sec in the clip in the upper right. Looks like 3-d wood cores? What do you think?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

My guess on the stacked cores is that there is a spacer between them so the tech can grab them easily. Looks like the spacers also are stacked in the lower right.
ra