press opening

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

thwacker

press opening

Post by thwacker »

Hi.
My name is Greg. I live in Arroyo Seco NM (near Taos). We have four people in our family who all ski quite a bit as Taos Ski Valley is just a few minutes up the hill. Since the economy has taken a crap around here in the last few years, we are all skiing on some pretty beat up gear. After reading and researching for the last year, I have decided that if we are to keep up with our hobby, and growing children, I need to make skis.
My press is mostly being made from recycled and harvested products. The beams are being laminated with Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine that we harvested over a year ago.The support will come from angle iron and flat steel. I am far overbuilding for what I need, but I would rather it not blow up.
So, mostly everything is cut and ready to go, I am still lacking fire hose, but half the town is searching for that for me. I do have one question though. How much room to leave for mold, hose, cat-track etc. I am second guessing myself and do not want to mess it up. I realize that everyone does something slightly differently, but if you have an opinion, I would love to hear it.
I still have not made molds yet, although the material is sitting there. I would just rather design the mold to fit the press instead of the other way around.
Thanks all,
Greg
gladegp

Ok

Post by gladegp »

Not to be a partypooper but I would say it is far cheaper to buy second hand gear than building your own. Build skis if you want to but not to save money. You'll see what I mean soon enough...

But if you still decide you want to build skis, that's great :D
thwacker

Post by thwacker »

I like to make stuff. We ride bikes I made, live in a house I made, beer yada yada.
You cant buy good gear around here that is not beat to heck. I would never buy what I have skied on for just one season. Taos is a bit rocky.
Most of what I have made so far is from stuff I have on hand. Profiler, lay up table, a couple of cores and an edge bender. Press is close to done, lacking some all thread that I have to buy. I have ten sheets of MDF (don't let customers do the measuring) some bamboo flooring for edges. Still need to order epoxy and decide on what type of fiberglass.
So... I hear you on the expense thing but being a contractor does help a bit.
How wide is the opening on your press?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Make your molds, cat track, etc. Stack all the materials up and measure. Then add 2-3 inches. The 2-3 inches will be the final opening of the press to slide the layup in and out. Depending on your molds, I'd say the avg opening is 13-16 inches.
thwacker

Post by thwacker »

Thanks. I had 16 in on my drawing, but as I cut the steel, it looked small.
Your work has inspired me.
Greg
bullion mine

Post by bullion mine »

I agree with make your molds ect. 1st. my opening is about 12"