Table Saw Question

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

Table Saw Question

Post by iggyskier »

Currently looking at picking up a table saw. At the moment trying to decide how much money to shell out.

Basically I am wondering what table saws people have been using and if they find them good enough for the job. Everything I've read about buying table saws says get a medium priced contractor saw with a really good fence.

I have found one for about $450 with a high quality fence, used.

Wondering if anyone has experiences with cheaper table saws, ie Jet/Delta 10" Saws in the $300 and below range brand new.

Thanks
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

If all you are doing is building skis, I think any tablesaw would work fine. Even a circular saw with guide would work to rough cut. If you are going to do any other woodworking, a mid to large tablesaw will give you much more precision than those little guys.

One thing to definitely get (and budget for) is a thin kerf saw blade. It makes a huge difference. Most stock blades are crap, and a good thin kerf one from Freud or Forrest will run about $50-$100. They can also be resharpened.

-kelvin
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

kelvin wrote:If all you are doing is building skis, I think any tablesaw would work fine. Even a circular saw with guide would work to rough cut. If you are going to do any other woodworking, a mid to large tablesaw will give you much more precision than those little guys.

One thing to definitely get (and budget for) is a thin kerf saw blade. It makes a huge difference. Most stock blades are crap, and a good thin kerf one from Freud or Forrest will run about $50-$100. They can also be resharpened.

-kelvin
sounds good. I am going to be doing a little work on my college house this summer, so I am going to get a table saw for sure. Just need to figure out which type. We shall see.

Thanks for the tip on the saw blade.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I use an old delta contractor table saw. I have been really impressed with it, and would say that the older equipment is often as good if not better than a lot of the newer power tools. I agree with Kelvin that a good thin kerf blade (carbide tipped is a must) is the key to good cuts. Next though, is a strong motor. The more power, the easier it will be to make those thick cuts through the hardwoods and glue that make up a ski core. One really good source for power tools though at a good price is craigslist. I got my compressor there for $40 and there are loads of quality table saws available locally there.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Greg wrote:I use an old delta contractor table saw. I have been really impressed with it, and would say that the older equipment is often as good if not better than a lot of the newer power tools. I agree with Kelvin that a good thin kerf blade (carbide tipped is a must) is the key to good cuts. Next though, is a strong motor. The more power, the easier it will be to make those thick cuts through the hardwoods and glue that make up a ski core. One really good source for power tools though at a good price is craigslist. I got my compressor there for $40 and there are loads of quality table saws available locally there.
I check CL a couple times of day. Lots of good deals on there.