edges

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Line_skier1080

edges

Post by Line_skier1080 »

I've been looking on the internent constantly for an edge supplier, and so far i've had no luck. I was just wondering where you guys got your edges. Also, I was wondering why you didn't paint your graphics on the back of your topsheets. To me that seems the easiest method of creating a graphic. This site is great, keep up the good work!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

welcome Line_skier1080! one place to get it is from www.snowboardmaterials.com

Kelvin is working on trying to get a big roll of edge material from a distributor. when we figure out how to get it, we'll probably try to sell what we don't use.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Actually we're trying to figure out how to paint our graphics directly onto the base or topsheet materials. You have to be careful because normal paints may cause bonding problems and the ski may delaminate. I'm going to test out some sublimation or screen printing methods for my next pair of skis and will post up results.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Line_Skier1080

Post by Line_Skier1080 »

Thanks for the info guys, but I have another question. Because I am a serious park skier and don't want my edges and bases to get destroyed by rails, I wanna know if you can get any super strong p-tex and or edges. I also was wondering if there is any special, more durable types of fiberglass that I could use without adding extra weight to the ski (or at least not a lot of weight)

This site rocks, keep up the good work
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

We're in the process of getting some edges and base material right now. So far we're planning on getting edges and bases that are thicker than normal. Hopefully this will be good for park skiing. I plan on skiing a lot more park next year so I also want materials that can take the abuse.

If you want a stronger type of composite but want to save weight I would suggest using carbon fiber or Kevlar. They're a lot more expensive and can be more difficult to work with. But if you're interested in experimenting with different types of fiberglass check out Vectorply. We're currently using the longitudinal triaxial E-glass that they have listed. It works really well.
Line_Skier1080

Post by Line_Skier1080 »

Ok, just one more question and I should be done. I was just wondering how much hader it is (if it is harder) to take telemark skis into the park and not alpine. I've skied alpine all my life and i've never seen one telemarker in the park.
this site is freakin amazing, keep up the good work!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Line_Skier1080: i've played in the park on my tele gear and it's not much harder. if anything, it's really cool to jib and air on tele gear. since your more free to move in tele gear, you have a smaller margin for error at first, but once you feel comfortable, you'll notice that your balance has improved, especially when you get back on alpine. btw, tele in the park is the cool thing nowadays... :D
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

teleing in the park is pretty much the same as alpine if you have the right gear. otherwise it can be like taking cross country gear for some air. i've been riding park quite a bit lately, more pipe actually. there's quite a few (3) teleskiers at Squaw that ride the park regularly. but we all suck compared to the alpiners here just because park isn't our main thing. for some good park skiers that represent teleskiing better check out Max Mancini, Ty Dayberry, and the other colorado jib monkeys.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Hi,

I can order edges with a standard profile and with the dimensions as in the drawing below

Are this standard dimensions?

The come in grey blue (the natural oxydization of the steel)
The common hardness of the steel is 48 ±2 HRC
They are NOT Sandblasted (this is an additional surface treatment of the edge that is done together with primer coating)

What kind of edges do you use? Are they sandblasted and/or coated?
And what is the best to use?

Thanks, Buuk
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

You can try CDW in Ohio.

CDW
888-267-5718

No website.

-kelvin