Veneer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MLReed05

Veneer

Post by MLReed05 »

Does anyone have experience with veneer? I haven't done any test pieces yet but the veneer looks really dull under my isosport clear top sheets. Will the epoxy bring out the richness of the wood like a varnish would? Any suggestions?
davide

Post by davide »

Gelcoat (epoxy, polyester or poliurethane) will look nice on wood. Resin for lamination can get yellowish when exposed at UV, while gelcoats are UV resistant.

You can try also Linseed oil or Tung oil.
http://www.dick.biz/cgi-bin/dick.storef ... iew/705286
http://www.dick.biz/cgi-bin/dick.storef ... iew/705275
rasi

Post by rasi »

Gelcoat is a great idea...I've been thinking about that for some time, too but am uncertain wheter it will create a surface that is scratchproof enough for a top-layer?
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

If you are doing a gelcoat...do you layup the ski as you normally would but without a clear topsheet then apply the gelcoat to the finished ski? Any links on methods? Thanks your the suggestions!
davide

Post by davide »

Yes, I just added the gelcoat on the finished board. Iused a polyester gelcoat, with green colour paste, and it sticks well on the epoxy.
On swiss-composite.ch and r-g.de you can find information on gelcoats.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I used veneer on the corn on the logs and on the Dr. Strangeloves. It works pretty well and is lighter than using fabric. For the Corns, I put a sheet of clear ptex topsheet over the veneer. It doesn't look all that good, since the topsheet is more translucent than transparent. For the Dr. strangeloves, I used purpleheart veneer with no topsheet. The epoxy soaked through the veneer during pressing and made a nice smooth top. I put a coat of varnish over it and it is holding up pretty well. It is getting scratched and the edges are a little chipped, but nothing too serious. The purple heart in no longer purple though. I've never tried it, but polyester gelcoat does not bond well with epoxy. They do make epoxy clear coats and system three makes a nice water base polyureathant (wr-lpu).

-kelvin