Fiberglass top sheet

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MLReed05

Fiberglass top sheet

Post by MLReed05 »

Anyone every use a thin layer of glass as a top sheet? I am going to try it out this weekend and see what happens. Just wondering if this has been done before?

I was told by wooden canoe builder that they glass over the top of the wood and coat it with a poly-uethane to protect it from UV rays. I am thinking this would be my best bet to bring out the richness of my wood veneer
collin

Re: Fiberglass top sheet

Post by collin »

MLReed05 wrote:I was told by wooden canoe builder that they glass over the top of the wood and coat it with a poly-uethane to protect it from UV rays. I am thinking this would be my best bet to bring out the richness of my wood veneer
They do do that. I'm pretty sure it's usually just 4-6oz glass. The first thing that pops into my head for some pics to see how it looks is a wooden surfboard company up in Maine called Grain Surfboards.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yes - i used a layer of 160g/m2 laminated with black coulered epoxy. It works fine so far - surprisingly durable - no UV damages after roundabout 15 ski days.

You can use a uv resistant epoxy to be shure.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Alex wrote:Yes - i used a layer of 160g/m2 laminated with black coulered epoxy. It works fine so far - surprisingly durable - no UV damages after roundabout 15 ski days.

You can use a uv resistant epoxy to be shure.
how is your camber holding up after that many ski days?

Let's hear about your skis!
Alex

Post by Alex »

@hose-man:

i already presented the skis here:

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177

As the ski has no camber it's a bit hard to answer your question - but it hasn't changed since pressing.