Core Shaping

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Core Shaping

Post by Dtrain »

How are people shaping/cutting the sidecut in their core. Some Ive read make a core shape template. Some print the core shape on paper and then use jigsaw/or band saw to cut it out. Others seem to run the wood straight out to the edge and cut when finished pressing

I am thinkin or just overhanging my core on my base template (10mm at widest point), clamping, and routering off of that to create the sidecut, shift to other side and repeat. Then put on 10mm sidewalls and priofile.

Please let me know if this idea stinks, is pure genious, and/or how you are doing it.

"My CNC cuts it", need not answer! ;)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I realized my method makes no sense explained like that.

first you use the base template and route your core out to that shape. then overhang it the same width you want your sidewall and router again, switch sides and repeat! then atach sidewalls
EricW

Post by EricW »

Still not sure if I'm understanding your question, but here goes.

I think templates are the best poor mans way of doing it.

If you know how to use CAD software, draw up the shape you want and have a template cut from a piece of sheet metal. That way you can just flop it over your blank, cut, do sidewalls and profile it.

If you're building your own template the best way, I think, is to cut it close on a band/jig saw and sand down to the line on a spindle sander. That is, if you have a spindle sander.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

With a good blade on a bandsaw, you can cut nearly as good by hand as a CNC router will, you just have to be slow/careful. Don't use crap blades.

Your method makes sense, I've seen people do that, works fine. Bandsaw is just easier/quicker for me, but I've got a plotter so plotting everything out is easy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I have a couple different types of template I use to shape the core before applying sidewalls.
The easiest is the same shape as the finished ski, 13mm narrower on each side that gets screwed to the core then traced with a router.
Then I use 19mm sidewalls on each side gives me lots of wiggle room.
Thought I had a pic somewhere but can't find it.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I just saw a great method for creating a core template. Cut out your base template out of 1 inch MDF.

Flip it over and and route 10mm, a half inch deep around the whole thing.

Now you have base template on one side. Flip it over and you have your core template. YAH! :D
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

the more I mess around the more I start to figure there is no right or even best way of doing anything.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Dtrain wrote:I just saw a great method for creating a core template. Cut out your base template out of 1 inch MDF.

Now you have base template on one side. Flip it over and you have your core template. YAH! :D
Nice!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Dtrain wrote:the more I mess around the more I start to figure there is no right or even best way of doing anything.
You're right! It all depends on other things. I use wood side walls so I don't shape the core at all. It's all done after pressing.
Dtrain wrote:I just saw a great method for creating a core template. Cut out your base template out of 1 inch MDF.

Slick!
falls

Post by falls »

i've always thought of doing the 2 in 1 template on the CNC just never got around to doing it.
I use router bushings to cut offsets of my base material template for core shape. This is technically more correct than just shifting the base template a few cm either side as it actually increases or decreases the radius so the cut you make is parallel to your first template rather than just a copy of it. However in the sidecut the radius is so big it seems like the template shifting idea works fine.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

I used the dual base/core template at first, then I switched to using the base template with a rabbit router bit with a bearing 10mm undersized. I make a first cut about 1/2 the thickness of the core. Then I use a staight bit with a bearing to take off the excess, using the core as the template. Did I explain that right?
~ Matt
falls

Post by falls »

yeah i'm with you
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

threeninethree wrote:I used the dual base/core template at first, then I switched to using the base template with a rabbit router bit with a bearing 10mm undersized. I make a first cut about 1/2 the thickness of the core. Then I use a staight bit with a bearing to take off the excess, using the core as the template. Did I explain that right?
yes you did.........awsome idea
vinman

Post by vinman »

I was thinking about this a little especially since I'm thinking about using a different approach to my sidewalls.

I'm going to try to epoxy my full stick of sidewall to a thin wooden board, say ~5mm thick. To do this I'll use my press and blankets to heat cure the epoxy. After this is done I'll rip it into sidewall strips
And glue wood to wood as usual.

To do this I'll need to preshape my core Blank before gluing the sidewalls on.

I came up with a little formula to figure things out. See if my logic works.

Base width + (edge width x 2) = final ski width

Final ski width +6 mm = final core blank width (3mm flash either side)

Sidewall width = ptex + wood stringer

Final core blank width - sidewall width = core set back width

Thoughts on this formula?

The sidewall method is not mine. I think Falls suggested this to me in a different thread.

Edited formula to include width of both edged in final ski width.
Last edited by vinman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

sounds like a great method! your formula looks right.