So, how to profile sidewall and cores?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rsotak

So, how to profile sidewall and cores?

Post by rsotak »

It seems like the digging I've done shows that hte planner will cause the sidewalls to delam or at the very least get pretty chewed up. Why not shape the wood core and profile just the wood with a planner. Then use the core as a template and trace the profile onto the sidewall material. Cut out the profile with a jigsaw/bandsaw and finally bond to the shaped and profiled core. Touch up profile with hand powered block sander.

It seems like this would work as long as you can keep the excess epoxy off the the upper and lower surfaces. Any comments
falls

Post by falls »

Most people use the variation on this of profiling a stick of sidewall material using your planer crib, then ripping it into four strips that are then attached to the core with staples or double sided tape (or if you are keen could glue them on, but the tape/staples work fine to keep them on until the final pressing uses the epoxy to keep them on). You can sand and flame the sidewall material after planing before attaching to the core.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You won't get the accuracy you need from a jig or band saw. I've thought about gluing the sidewall on uncut, then using a flush cut router bit with a bearing to cut the sidewall down, but never tried it.
rsotak

Post by rsotak »

So what is the best method for shaping the sidewalls with a planer? I've heard people using wood on the outside of the sidewal material to help stabilize, but not sure what kind of luck they had.
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

Tracing, rough cut with a band saw, glue on, and sand with a belt sander is what I've been using.
Sidewall profiling is a struggle for sure.
I glue on my sidewalls. When I go to sand them the bonds still usually peel off because sanding heats up the plastic. Plus it makes a mess even a shop vac attachment. The positive is I can get some good results as far as the thickness profile matching the core. The key that I see is maintaining the edge step. I put a piece of base material under the sidewall to keep that elevated.

For sanding, I found some red 36 grit paper at home depot that lasts forever. It eats through plastic nicely and it gives a great bond.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits