Interesting article from Never Summer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powdercow

Interesting article from Never Summer

Post by powdercow »

I am fairly new on the forum so I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the good information. I can't wait to get my first pair of skis made and will be starting a journal as soon as I get my press together (new variation on the hoseman series).

In looking around I found this article. Admittedly its about snowboards, but Never Summer makes a good product and I think there are several interesting things that can be applied.

http://www.compositesworld.com/ct/issue ... mber/687/1

What I got from it:
1. UHMWPE is superior to ABS for sidewalls and tip spacers, I have found this verified by a number of other companies I respect.
2. There is something to pressing at high PSI. This is the third company I have read about or talked to that is pressing right around 100 psi. I have read the discussions on this and I don't have any technical explanations but I am building my press to hold up to high pressure just so I have the flexibility.

Anyone get anythign else from this?
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hello powercow,

Most excellent first contribution... lots of great information. Dang, though, I was just getting ready to try ABS for tip spacers and sidewalls, and these boys report that it cracks when it gets cold. Come to think of it, seems like the K's had reported something similar somewhere else on this site. Interesting how Never Summer explained their theory regarding camber loss over time and how they now use pre-stressed glass to prevent it.

I added the site to my favorites list for future reference. Thanks again.

G-man