Flexible heaters

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bambi

Flexible heaters

Post by Bambi »

Talking to most flexible heater companies there is a one time engineering fee to set up, but subsequent builds are free of this. Has anyone been through this and is now in a position to order fee free mats that I could take advantage of?

If not then I will go ahead and make an order and if anyone would like a repeat order then I would be happy to pass on the details so that you can save some money.

I am aiming to get a 1.3KW heater that is 6' long and 6" wide for a 110V supply. This yields a power density of about 3Wper square inch.

Also there is a lot of discussion about temperature control, but my understanding is that within reason it is better to have things hotter than cooler, so why not plug the heater into the mains (with a fuse) and get as hot as you can. You can alwys monitor the temperature with a thermocouple and if things get a bit hot then unplug it. A bit sketchy but is there any real reason why this is not sensible (besides burning my house down!)

On a completely different note has anyone put more thought into holding the core in place during pressing? I am aware that the Kams suggest a temporary nail to hold things in place, but with a heater matt below this is not possible. Commercial setups presumably rely on the casette to hold things in place. I was thinking that if the core is shaped to sit within the edges and then the sidewalls were slightly 'raised' to avoid a void in the base then this may solve the location issues too. Has anyone tried this or got any other top tips in this area?

Ta,

B.
hose-man

Re: Flexible heaters

Post by hose-man »

Bambi wrote: I was thinking that if the core is shaped to sit within the edges and then the sidewalls were slightly 'raised' to avoid a void in the base then this may solve the location issues too. Has anyone tried this or got any other top tips in this area?.
That was our solution & things ended up lined up very well..