Twizz 2012/2013

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Great to know about replacing the brakes. I'll have to be very specific about which pair of skis I put them on. I have 5 pairs of the Axial II design and really like them, I can only imagine the Pivots work better.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah, I like the pivoting heel for extra insurance against knee-injuries. Never had a serious knee injury, and don't want one.
kylea

Post by kylea »

twizz, The FKS / Pivot race bindings are for the most part exactly the same as they used to be prior to 2007 when they stopped making them. I think you are comparing them to the Rossi Power / Look Pivot, dildo style heel. You can change and bend the brakes on the new FKS / Pivot binding, it is just a bitch. The toes on the the new 14's are the same as the old 12 toes sans the din difference and a wider AFD. New 18's are exactly the same. Unfortunately the did away with the 15's : ( And knee injuries, unfortunately, are still a very real possibility in pivots.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I think I follow you.

I used to have this:

Now I have this:

I've got the 14s, cause anything higher than 8 scares me :) (but I don't weigh anything)
kylea

Post by kylea »

Yeah, that's it. I'm partial to the old FKS 155's because I like the all metal toe but don't quite need an 18 din.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah it's another $100 for the look 18s with the metal toe.

Fun fact - the toe piece uses the same mounting holes as the older pivots. The front two screws on the heel piece are in the same location, but the rear two are further forward. When I bought them last year I had already made a pair of skis with inserts for the old ones... So I machined an adapter plate to mount the new ones to the old holes
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

shoot me for saying this, but they look like they havent changed since the 80's. But I havent ski'd in nearly as long
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the look bindings i mean. I think their biggest feat was coming up with their original design.
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The foam core skis are done!

The graphics are a map of the Seattle area from 1908. (for the record, I had this topsheet printed long before I saw Chris's beautiful map skis... don't want to look like a copycat :) )

The bases are two different colors of ptex, everything cutout using my $8 homemade drag knife on my CNC.

I'll be taking these skis up to Alpental Tuesday (and they are forecasting something like 3ft before then... hoooo doggy it's going to be good!). I'll report back with how they ski, and I'll make a new thread about these foam cores and how they ski, how it was to work with, lessons to share, etc.
OAC

Post by OAC »

I keep my fingers crossed for the foam core to hold. I tried it once, but the ski didn't leave the workshop...
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

The map topsheets look sick!

Good, bright color choices on the bases.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Whats the weight diff between the two skis? And are they dimensional identical? Way cool stuff.
Dont think we have 3ft for the whole season yet. :(
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Wicked ski Twizz. please do tell the trials and tribulations of your drag knifed bases. i know you have the carbide blank sharpened up, but can you explain any problems you encountered and if only vacum was used while you cut out the bases shapes and how the letters held while doing so. they look perfect. WOW!Impresive!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Had a funny conversation in the lift line today. Somebody was admiring Kevin's skis (the mountain/river ones), and Kevin was explaining that they were homemade. The guy looked at me and said "hey you've got a red beard too, why don't you have homemade skis?!"

I quietly wiped the snow off my tips to reveal the "Stumpysticks, Handmade in Kenmore, Washington" and just smiled. :D
sammer

Post by sammer »

Nice!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)