Twizz 2012/2013

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I spoke with a ski builder (over 300 pairs a year) several years ago who used a quick cure cryocynate activator and suffered several delams which he attributed to the use of this product so beware. YMMV
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Man, I can't count on you guys for any consistent advice can I? :)

I'm gonna stick with the pricey gel that I know works for now. I'll experiment later.

More importantly... my skis (not the new ones) are waxed and loaded in the truck. Getting up nice and early tomorrow to go f'ing skiing. I am PUMPED.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Everyone here is the expert builder nowadays! :)
OAC

Post by OAC »

If you want my opinion, I would use the "regular" super glue, the thin type, not the gel. I used the gel type before, but I found that it formed small bumps along the base/edge where I put it. Mostly cosmetic, but anyway...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Well this is embarrassing... The issue I had with the base on the new ski? I finally took the lower cassette metal off the mold, and found this stuck to the underside of the metal...

That is a piece of sticky rubber from another project that is 1/4" thick!!! It must have been sitting on the work bench when I had the metal sitting there, and picked it up.

I got VERY lucky that this was fixable, this could have ruined this pair of skis and I would have been out a lot of money in materials! Lesson learned, inspect everything before sticking it in the press!!

First day skiing this winter today, awesome powder day, there is tons of snow at Mt Baker in Washington already, we had an awesome day.
sammer

Post by sammer »

The deepest powder day I ever skied was at mt baker, probably 1990.
Skiing on skinny skis.
My buddy kept asking all the lifties if they had any weed. Of course they all said no.
Got back to canada and he couldn't find his weed, turns out it was in his boot bag and we had taken it across the border twice :)
Was still an epic day!
I know the coast has been hit pretty hard in the last week or so and baker is right in the path of all the weather that blows in from the coast.
Glad the snow was good for you.

Also glad you found and were able to repair your issue with the latest ski.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

twizzstyle wrote:First day skiing this winter today, awesome powder day, there is tons of snow at Mt Baker in Washington already, we had an awesome day.
Did it really happen... No pics :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

deepskis wrote:
Did it really happen... No pics :D
Only a picture of my truck :)

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I finished pair number three for the season tonight (the first pair for myself).

It's too late to take nice pictures, so here is a sneak peak from my phone. These things are gorgeous in every way!

These are the 4th iteration of my "piggy sticks", but I think these are different enough that I need a new name for them. Haven't picked anything yet.

160cm length, 155-120-140, the tip and tail stay wide for a long time with some pretty significant early-rise, with a very short sidecut section with a fair amount of camber. The shape is pretty weird to me, I'm excited to see how they work. My older piggy sticks had a more conventional shape with no camber at all. While they are amazing in deep powder, once you find a hard packed or groomed run they are all over the place. I'm hoping these will be the best of both worlds.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The graphics were drawn by an old high school friend of mine who is a graphic designer. He did the artwork for me, and I had it sublimated on nylon at Miller Studios.

When I asked my friend if he could do some graphics for me, I told him I didn't care what it was, my only requirement was that it be "epic". I think he met the requirement :D

The cell phone photos make it look very blue, but it's more green. Not quite as bright as the base, but pretty close.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Epic!
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Sexy!!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Home run! Didn't realize the art work was a robot until my eyes came into focus. (more coffee).
vinman

Post by vinman »

Awesome skis. be sure to detune the tips and tails well and keep a stone I hour pocket. That sort of design can be squirrelly if they are to sharp in the tip/tail.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Very nice ! love it !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...