sidewalls and two sided tape

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

troublemaker

sidewalls and two sided tape

Post by troublemaker »

I saw a video on YouTube from Moment ski's, and it stated they use two sided tape to attach sidewalls to the cores. Has anybody tried this?
MBsnow

Post by MBsnow »

Hot glue guns work wonders.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That's how ON3P does it too.

I tried it on the last pair of skis I did, using some "permanent" double sided scotch tape. It wouldn't hold at all, so I used super glue instead, about a 4" long bead near the waist of the ski. That worked great.
olie25

Post by olie25 »

super curious about exactly what this product is?? if you check this vid out

2:23 you can see the little roll of tape they are using. it has to be some sort of porous masking tape that runs most of the sidewall length. it seems they always leave the tips loose
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

This is what we use: https://new.grainger.com/product/3M-Adh ... Tape-6JT04

A bit pricey but works great! Place it on your core side and use a utility knife blade to trim it down.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

olie25 wrote:super curious about exactly what this product is?? if you check this vid out

2:23 you can see the little roll of tape they are using. it has to be some sort of porous masking tape that runs most of the sidewall length. it seems they always leave the tips loose
That's the video I was talking about.
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Ive used double sided banner/hem tape in the past with good results! Ive used oracal brand and a generic brand and they both have seemed to hold up really well.
http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/prod ... 164'+rolls
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

olie25 wrote:super curious about exactly what this product is?? if you check this vid out

that role looks very similar to the double sided tape you get when you put plastic wrap up on your windows. I feel fairly positive with this one. The large inner circle of the role is spot on.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

skimann20 wrote:

that role looks very similar to the double sided tape you get when you put plastic wrap up on your windows. I feel fairly positive with this one. The large inner circle of the role is spot on.
Haha. Poor people to victory. That stuff is thin and sticky. Good call.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I use this tape to hold my bases to their template while cutting them.. (the window tape thingy) It works great but some brands are stickier than other (which for sidewalls is great but not much for temporarily holding bases..)
It can be pricey too...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

nrgboards wrote:Ive used double sided banner/hem tape in the past with good results! Ive used oracal brand and a generic brand and they both have seemed to hold up really well.
http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/prod ... 164'+rolls
That's right!!! When I was working for my brother in his sign shop making banners we used that stuff all the time. It's really thin and sticky as all get out!
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Found this stuff 3M VHB tape.
~ Matt
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

I used VHB while building enclosed trailers back in the day. I can say it works great attaching aluminum skin onto painted steel tubing. But using it in ski's I feel it will be a little to thick. Now you can get it in thinner stuff, I think like .020" but that's still too thick. In my brothers sign shop we used banner tape, it's really thin and sticks to smooth clean surfaces very well.
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

3Ms VHB tape has a foam layer between the adhesives which makes it kinda thick. If you pull a manufacturers emblem off your car (Ford,Chevy,etc.) its more than likely applied using this tape. I used to wrap cars and we reapplied emblems using this tape.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

They make this VHB in .01" thick (0.25mm). doesn't seem too thick.
~ Matt