ABS or UHMW?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Vinman wrote:...How ae you doing your full edge wrap?
Vin,
My full edge wrap is done using two pieces of edge with a butt joint at each end of the ski. Other than that, our methods are quite similar. Your one-piece full wrap looks like it takes alot of effort.
I just read through your entire blog and I'm very impressed. Nice work, keep it up.

-S
vinman

Post by vinman »

My one piece wrap is a bit of work but I like only having the 1 seam in the tail. I may play with a 3 or 4 Piece wrap to use up some long scrap if I start to run short on edge.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MBsnow

Post by MBsnow »

Started looking for Ipe, but it seems pretty tough to find in Colorado without buying a 1x6 decking board? Anybody no where I can get something thinner?
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

MBsnow wrote:Started looking for Ipe, but it seems pretty tough to find in Colorado without buying a 1x6 decking board? Anybody no where I can get something thinner?
why not just rip it down? I'm not sure you'll find it in any other size.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

MBsnow wrote:Started looking for Ipe, but it seems pretty tough to find in Colorado without buying a 1x6 decking board? Anybody no where I can get something thinner?
1x6 decking board is exactly what you want. actual measure is 3/4" x 5-1/2"
Rip it into sidewall blocks. Thin strips come off perfectly straight and stay that way, amazing.

Who is this vendor in Colorado? I haven't found a supplier in Utah yet.

-S
MBsnow

Post by MBsnow »

When I make sidewalls I take a 3/8" x 11" x 48" piece of ABS put it on my CNC tabke and mill my core profile into the sidewall just over .5 mil smaller than my actual core height(accounting for edge step height), then rip 1/2 wide strips on a table saw, then tac it to the core with hot glue. I was attempting to find similar dimension for IPE and follow the same procedures, but I might have to adjust my process. Rocky Mountain Forest Products in Fountain, CO supplies IPA decking materials, I contacted them and I believe they said pricing was around $7.00 BF. www.rmfp.com
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

MBsnow wrote:...www.rmfp.com
You may want to consider their Brazilian Redwood decking rather than Ipe.
Brazilian Redwood = Massaranduba
I've used both and prefer the Massa because it seems to have straighter and tighter grain. Plus I like the reddish hue, but it turns dull grey overtime.

-S
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. For all you wood sidewallers I thought this link might be of interest..http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=207
You'll fine Ipe in the list at 3690 Jenka hardness or so making it "real hard" according to the author.
I've used red gum at 2190 with tung oil for a finish and had no problems and it looks nice with veneer top sheets and is much easier to build with than UHMWPE.
I have a board of Gidgee in the shed for my next project which is sooooo heavy. Maybe I'll only have really narrow sidewalls 3 mm or so to keep the weight down.
Tim if you want I have a 2400x900x2mm sheet of ABS you can have. It came free 4 years ago and I've never touched it!
C.
falls

Post by falls »

thanks chris
2mm thick or 12mm thick? Not sure I could do much with 2mm thickness.
Redgum sounds interesting though.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MBsnow

Post by MBsnow »

So I grabbed some white oak from a shop in town and I am going to give that a try. I know its not very exotic but its still quite an attractive wood. What would you guys recommend for sealing?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

White oak is a funny wood. The grain is "flakey", seems to peel apart when running it in a planer the grain is in layers. I like red oak alot more.
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

Ipe sounds interesting, but how is it to cut on the finished ski? I often need to change 2-3 saw blades (quality ones) finishing the skis. I can imagine Ipe is even harder.

Is there any other wood that is hard enough, and not so moisture and temp sensitive, that we can use in europe? Not sure if I can get Ipe...anybody tried Larch?
skidesmond@gmail.com

Post by skidesmond@gmail.com »

Try maple birch beech.
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

did some research and maple and birch and beech are not very durable. I found that there are several parameters to consider

1) Wood durability
2) ease of machining
3) binding to epoxy
4) price and availability

Maple, birch etc are not rated as very durable.

Some exotic heavy wood such as Teak and Merbau are very durable however I talked with few professionals and they refused to work with them as it is very hard on the tools. Also the price is not the best.

I was recommended, and also concluded my self, that the Siberian Larch is very good. It is rel. cheap, easy to get and also to machine and is very durable and used a lot for outdoor applications. So I will be working with this one next week and do some testing.

I also will add it to junksupply.com if it works out so anybody can order it.
powderho

Post by powderho »

mikic1 wrote:did some research and maple and birch and beech are not very durable.

Maple, birch etc are not rated as very durable.
Thanks for turning me on to the Siberian Larch--I will definitely check it out. But I really have to question why you think maple is not durable. I have used it in dozens of pairs of skis and it is easily the most durable wood (or grass) I've used. Yes it is a pain to machine, but it makes for the toughest sidewall on the mountain and the best screw retention substrate available. It even has a higher Janka rating than larch, 1450 versus 1100. Don't rule out maple just yet......