Divide Rides

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

And ya, that crown natural base looks foggy as hell, paper graphics dont look super great, but the paint pops out super clear after layup, might look even better after a decent grind.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Does your black turned out really black ?
I did a few silkscreened topheets using the Crown topheet (same material as the base but thinner) and the black ink from Nazdar turned out "dark navy blue" on the final skis. Made a test with black die in the epoxy -» same result !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

The ink looked black as hell. Even after it dried. But yes Ben, after pressing looks a very dark navy blue throught he base. I would love to find a true clear base.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Yes that's what I meant.. the ink was 100% black but through the topsheet (or base) it looks dark blue..
The result is very nice on your base ! love it !
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

dtrain,
I love that "i <3 powder" deck!
Love the mellow tip curve, early rise, and bamboo sw.
What's your core?
Doug
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Good old Canadian maple. People say maple is heavy, but this deck weights 7lb 9oz and the flex is perfect.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Finished up 2 splitboard cores today. just need to cut some tip spacers.
SOOOO much measuring and drilling.

These are bamboo with carbonized bamboo sidwalls. two more nights at the firehall and then 4 days off for building.

[/img]Image
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Very nice !
Will you put any kind of tipspacer on those or just leave the bamboo as is ?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I going to use some tipspacers. trying to decide if I want to do the old staight across cut or try to cut some shape into the bamboo tip and try and match up the cut with the spacer. I have done this with my previous boards, but always get litlle voids between the wood and spacer and handcutting to perfection is super hard to achieve.

I checked out the interlock method that you used Ben, but that also looks a little tricky to do with a jigsaw. But I am off now to the dungeon to figure somthing out.

Long night last night at the firehall. We had a 7.7 earthquake just off our coast, and then a tsunami warning was in effect for my city till about 1am.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Looks dope! Nice work. Do both boards have the same flex or are you gonna mix it up?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Ones for my girl. So, I kept that one softer in the nose and underfoot. Both 162 cm. mines like 7.6mm underfoot. First bamboo Cores I've made. Stuff seems super soft. I'm going to used 19.9 oz quadaxial basalt top and bottom plus 9 ounce UNI carbon, one inch stips above and below the cores. Probably won't run those all the way tip tail as left this fairly stiff, but probably just past the inserts.

Has anybody done straight across tip spacers? I know some have, but are then any horror stories with affected flex, function, or breakage?

I can't wait to lay these up with the maple leaves under the top sheets. Gonna look sweet I think
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

The last splitboards I made I went with just an "around the tip tipspacer", I found it super easy to do and the result was great.
I basically cut the core following my template(20mm offset all around the tips), the I just layed dow the core on some tipspacer material and followed the contour with an x-acto knife... a few light passes with a sharp blade lead to great result !

I do the straight cut thing for skis and noticed no problem at all...
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

double post
Last edited by Dtrain on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Got some of tips spacers cut and then painted the bases for the splits. Im gonna press em Thursday.

I gotta buy a mask. The entropy aint that bad, but the paint is killin me. ;)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

IGot one of the spitboards pressed. Quadax basalt top/bottom and full length uni carbon, top/bottom, tip to tail. stoked on the look of the basalt and maple leaves under the clear nylon. cant wait to finish it of, flash, sand etc.

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

hope I can find all the inserts........the balsalt reveals nothing. The old pencil and paper I guess. No magnetic ones here.