what ski press?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zachjowi

what ski press?

Post by zachjowi »

I am just a beginer but I plan on making some skis and ski blades. I was wondering what one of these presses would be better.
Thanks

iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Both will work, but I think the metal press frame would be burlier than than wood one, even with that many supports. They would both be fine, though
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

The press with the wood is cheaper, becauese it does not require a lot of metal which is quite expansive. I think you won't see a difference in final result.
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

Do you have any guess as to how much one either of these presses will cost me in the US to but the supplies? thanks
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

The "wooden press" costed me about 100 - 120 euro. If I would have to buy the metal for the "metal press" it would cost me about 200 euro. But maybe the steel prices are different where you are living.

Buuk
justin56

Post by justin56 »

zachjowi,
if you buy your steel new and from a steel supplier they will price according to the marked. Buying from a retailer will contain its markup.

In most metropolitan areas with a thriving steel market, new steel is around 58 cents per pound. Scrap is down around 30 cents per pound--prices can change daily according to global markets.

If you have resale and steel scrap dealers take a look a their prices.

The steel you want is not 'scrap' but you don't need to use brand new product.

If you know the value that scrap is going for and the average price new in your area, you can't go wrong spotting a deal.

Unfortnatetly, lumber prices are a very local thing when speaking retail.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My metal press is similar to the one that kam made, and it cost me around $250.