Sidewall width ?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

olie25

Sidewall width ?

Post by olie25 »

im looking for general opinions on sidewall width? your thoughts on sidewalls fully covering edge tabs, half ect... Im primarily aiming this towards UHMW users that also use VDS. If you would like to throw out rabbet depths to i would like to get a better idea of what other people are doing?
Idris

Post by Idris »

My sidewall width is 10mm when building the core, but 7mm once the ski is cut out. Gives me some wiggle room (room for error) and gives me a plenty wide enough sidewall.
Mine are oak not UHMW though.

Rabbet depth I set each time I router a bunch of cores as I don't have a router dedicated to this task alone - I set it on a piece of scrap to match the edge tang.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Due to how I make my UHMWPE sidewalls, mine are 1/2in or 13mm. They end up ~10mm after cutting them out.

I cut my rabbet the full width of the sidewall at .7-.8 mm deep. The edge tangs are usually .6 mm and the VDS is .2 mm. I add .1 for the glass.

The VDS compresses some with heat and pressure. I find this depth gives me a nice flat base.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I cut the trough for my PU sidewalls with a 12mm router bit so thats my sidewall width before flashing...after cutting the flash, approx. 8mm remain. No rabbet for edges.
petemorgan(pmoskico)

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

I use wood side walls, but i am not afraid of UHMWPE.

Are you going to match your cores side cut to your skis side cut? this way you will get an even width of sidewall up and down the length of the ski.

Or are you going to make straight cores that do not have a side cut to them then you are going to have an uneven width of sidewall material. It will be less sidewall underfoot and more sidewall at the tip and tail where the ski is wider.
My opinion is that you want more sidewall underfoot because that is where the most damage can occur by your ski hitting your boot hard, and just having lots o' pressure right there.

i think making your cores match the side cut of your skis is a superior way to make them.

I think 10 mm is plenty of width. that gives you enough room for a beveled edge too.