Best mold sheet to use?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

Best mold sheet to use?

Post by backyardskier »

Just made some mold ribs today, to save some time and mdf I want to use a sheet of either plastic or metal. But I do not want to use any thing to thick that will alter the shape of the ski profile.

What have you guys found that is thin and will not compress down with a gap of .25" to .5"?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Roof flashing works well. Home Depot has Aluminum and galvanized that's 24" wide, they have different widths too. I bought a 24"x50' roll of galvanized steel for $50. They also have flat sheets that are 3'x5' but your going to have a seem.
vinman

Post by vinman »

3/16 Masonite at least. If it is only ribs with spaces in between you need something to make a nice smooth base or else risk some press thru from the ribs.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

How are you guys attaching the masonite to the mold?
My molds are full width MDF ribs, but I am thinking it would be good to cover these with a thin sheet of masonite 0r maybe plywood. My idea is to cover it and the ribs with a thin coat of epoxy and then press it on and cure. Any good? (bit worried about what happens to the epoxy every time it heats up again during a real pressing)
Otherwise screws?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I used 3/4 mdf to cover my mold between the tip/tail blocks so it meets my tip/tail blocks evenly. I do not fasten the mdf to the mold since my tip/tail blocks are adjustable.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

skidesmond wrote:I used 3/4 mdf to cover my mold between the tip/tail blocks so it meets my tip/tail blocks evenly. I do not fasten the mdf to the mold since my tip/tail blocks are adjustable.
same here.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Used to use MDF too between the tip molds and also over the "main mold" ribs to have a smooth surface...
Found out MDF used horizontally + pressure + heat = MDF compresses, see one of my last topics for more details. Since then I removed the MDF sheet over the "main mold" ribs and switched to Plywood for the sheet between tip molds... still have to check overtime how it's going...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

we use 16ga steel, takes a few pressings for it to comform 100%, but when under pressure its fine.
Doug
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

.063 aluminum sheet.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Vinman wrote:3/16 Masonite at least. If it is only ribs with spaces in between you need something to make a nice smooth base or else risk some press thru from the ribs.
something like this ?
http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composi ... Kqkoo41i3Y
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Just use a softer, like 5053 .063 aluminum. Seriously. Coat the aluminum with mold release,counter sink your screws along the outer 2 ribs, route a channel in the form under the aluminum sheet for your heat blankets and be done with it. It's the way everyone does it...unless you just want to get weird about it for no reason.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Brazen wrote:Just use .063 aluminum. Seriously. Coat the aluminum with mold release,counter sink your screws along the outer 2 ribs, route a channel in the form under the aluminum sheet for your heat blankets and be done with it. It's the way everyone does it...unless you just want to get weird about it for no reason.
Seriously where can I buy this in 24" x 80".
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

At any metal supply company?
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Will the Aluminum work well with a vacuum press? Dumb questions but got to ask them to find out.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

ahhh, not sure...on the face of it I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never used a vacuum set up. Sorry I didn't see that )