6MEN Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

The plates are about 3/16" thick I had a machine shop bend them for me at 6" so theyre actually a c channel. I put the heat blanket on top of the top plate because the sub paper is placed on top of the pbt and I want the heat to transfer thru the paper and into the pbt. Im going to be subbing more topsheets in the next few days so Ill take pics of the whole setup, right now I have a ski pressing setup in my press.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

OK so you sublimate one ski at a time, right ?

I've read somewhere that pressure time was very important and the ideal process should be to preheat the top plate (in your case), then insert the pbt+transfer paper, apply pressure (fast), wait a few minutes (duration is important), release, let it cool... I assumed the part "the heat has to be applied very fast" was important, you seem to prove it wrong !

Congratulations !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Yes I do 1 ski at a time same with pressing skis. Ive done multiple tests I preheated the top plate to 300*f before slid paper and topsheet in quickly pressed for roughly 2 minutes pulled it hot let cool good results. Ive put it in cold ramped heat up to 250*f pulled hot got faded results, put in cold>300*f pulled hot got good results, the tysticks in the post above I put the in the press heated to 266*f let cook for 1 hour 15 min pulled hot each topsheet. So the Broken Yolks I decided to try to run up to 275*f cook for 2 min and pull when hot with one, the other ran up to 275*f cook 2 min let cool and pull and got identical results. Whats nice about the latter pressing is your not reaching into a super hot slot and you can do other things while its ramping up and cooling.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Care to share what ink you are using?

I have the same setup. Epson 1400 with a CIS and the driver hacks. It pretty much just sits now. Been looking into sub inks for a bit and can't pull the trigger.
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

I bought an empty set of cis tanks and cartridge from either cisinks or ebay I cant remember and then I got the sub inks from printpayless.com and the colors are really vibrant and pretty spot on to what I design. I think I got my driver hacks from you AMP lol thanks!!!
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Haha I couldn't remember who I had sent it to.

I might give this inks a try then. They are cheap enough and I have an extra heat blanket. This will give me an excuse to practice welding some stuff together too :-)
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Pair for my wife I call the meagapows 125-94-115 162cm basic 22oz triad topsheet pbt sublimatedImage
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Trimmed sidewall profile bases ground waiting to be mountedImage
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Here's a pair I just got done building for my daughter 132cm pbt subbed topsheetImage
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Beauties!
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Here's another pair I just built for a buddy they're 172cm 130-85-125 pbt glossy subbed topsheet Image