Wood Core Ideas

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zack726

Wood Core Ideas

Post by zack726 »

I want to build a ski riding the line between race and midfat (179cm long, Tip:Waist:Tail 110:70:100) and don't know what wood I should use for the core. I'm looking for something stiff but responses (more to the stiff side though). Would 3 materials be best? A flexier one in the center, then two very stiff for good flex, then a moderate stiffness on the edge? And what wood would you reccomend for each of these?
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
zack726

Also

Post by zack726 »

Also, would 30mm of camber be too much? Would it break the wood? or would it just be stupid? The industry-made skiis ive ridden have much more than 10-20mm of camber, such as some atomic race skiis.

Or should I go higher than 30?
bigKam
Site Admin

Re: Also

Post by bigKam »

zack726 wrote:Also, would 30mm of camber be too much?
the skis we've made (by accident) with 30+mm of camber did not ski well. in particular, they did not work well in soft snow. i'm not sure if a lot of camber is a good idea, but on hardpack it might be okay. i personally prefer 5 - 15mm of camber.

as for wood, try mixing maple, birch, and poplar. poplar is soft. maple is the relatively stiff. we usually keep the maple on the outside.
zack726

Post by zack726 »

I want to run this by you guys to see if you think It's a good idea or not.
My Core idea:

22mm of Soft Maple (Rails)
18mm of Hard Maple (Binding power transmission)
30mm of Southern Pine (Ski Flex)
18mm of Hard Maple
22mm of Soft Maple

I wnated to use poplar instead of pine, but couldn't find it near me. I also prefered Paper Birch over Soft Maple, but again, couldnt find. Anyway, what are your views on this setup? Has anyone used pine before and does it behave well?
collin

Post by collin »

I don't know where you are, but I swear I saw some poplar at Home Depot recently. So may be near you...
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
zack726

Post by zack726 »

Well they have a generic brich, maple and poplar available. What species are these generic woods? I'm in SoCal
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

if you're in SoCal then you can try Ganahls. That's where I get my wood. Where do you ski?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
zack726

Post by zack726 »

Big Bear and Snow Summit locally, then I get all over the country to other spots (Park City and Whistler/Blackcomb Canada mainly)
collin

Post by collin »

zack726 wrote:Well they have a generic brich, maple and poplar available. What species are these generic woods? I'm in SoCal
I don't know, but going off of the USDA "Comercially Important Woods" pamphlet for a good guess...

The only poplar they list is yellow. The physical properties are pretty close for all the maples, as are those of the birches -except- paper birch.

Maybe this helps.
collin

Post by collin »

Ok that was easy to find, and it was the FS not USDA whatever.

Wood Handbook--Chapter 4--Mechanical Properties of Wood (pdf) and the other chapters here.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

The poplar at my home depot is definately yellow poplar so I imagine yours will be the same. As for ash it feels like the default when buying ash is white ash unless otherwise specified so I think you can feel fairly safe with those two assumptions.

Thanks for the link collin that was useful.
- Ben