Cost of Ski Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zack726

Cost of Ski Press

Post by zack726 »

I want to start designing and building my own ski's (who wouldn't) and have a good deal of experience in woodwork and a woodshop at my school I can use for the design and construction phase - except I don't have a press. I'm low on cash so was wondering, how much did it take to build your ski press?
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
zack726

Post by zack726 »

Also - What size air compressor is needed? Will a 1.7 running HP,26 Gal. air compressor with air delivery of 5.6/3.8 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI (max pressure 150psi) work?
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

zack726. it shouldn't cost you much for a press. search this forum. i've seen people build a press out of wood and misc scavenaged metal beams and such. be creative, but make it strong, i.e., include a sufficient factor of safety.

your compressor sounds sufficient. we usually press between 40-60 psi, typically 45 psi. be sure to wear safety glasses and stand behind a wall when you test your press. good luck and have fun.