Section8 2012-2013

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 2012-2013

Post by skidesmond »

I spent a good part of the day skiing on the "Skullduggery" skis today.
( See build for ski details: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 6&start=30 )

Over all impressions fantastic! Snow conditions were groomed with fresh snow falling. Excellent edge holding on the hard pack and great GS carving. I thought they maybe too soft since I used poplar but they are fine. Good rebound coming out of turns. Would still like to try adding CF one of these days. Nice and stable at high speed.

As for the cork I'd say it has marginal dampening effect if any. The bases are flat, which is what the cork layer was for. So I was happy for that. A couple minor dimples from tiny sawdust particles, a hazard of doing everything in 1 room.

Got the best edge fit to date. I'll have a proper base grind done by a ski shop sometime this season. I used the belt sander w/ 120 grit to remove the excess epoxy, scraped the bottom, basic hot wax.

The ipe sidewall looks awesome. It has a deep red color like mahogany. I'll be using that from now on.

Definitely plan an logging more days on these!

Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Cool! Glad you enjoyed them and thanks for the update.
OAC

Re: Section8 2012-2013

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote: Over all impressions fantastic! Snow conditions were groomed with fresh snow falling. Excellent edge holding on the hard pack and great GS carving. I thought they maybe too soft since I used poplar but they are fine. Good rebound coming out of turns. Would still like to try adding CF one of these days. Nice and stable at high speed.
I know the feeling! They are almost like my "Wolverines"...PistePerformers! :)
I put an extra biax(300g/m²) under and over the core on the black ones. A hit! :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I got to spend some more time on these skis recently. Spent 3 days skiing on them at Smuggler Notch Vt. Finally spent some real ski time (non-groomer trials) and pushed them (and myself) hard.

Impressions are still great! Excellent carving ski with excellent edge hold. Did a lot of glade skiing. A 178cm non-rocker ski requires some maneuvering but fun nonetheless.

One bad thing happened. On 1 ski the rear binding plate came lose after the first day of skiing. Not sure if it was a bad mount (by me) or more torque on the ski because of pushing the ski hard or both. Took a drive to a local hardware store and bought some marine epoxy. Reset the plate with epoxy. Also checked the other ski and that was a little lose so I reset that one as well.

By the end of the second day, one ski had worked itself lose again, but the other one held tight.

Took the ski to the Smuggs ski shop and they put in 4 helicoils for the rear plate. Skied the hell out of the skis on sunday and both plates held up fine, $20 repair. Tragedy averted.

Side note, Met up with WhiteRoom (aka Vin) and he took me into some tight glades. He had a nice rocker ski and I saw the advantage of a rocker ski in the glades, also helps that Vin is an excellent glade skier. :D Vin suggested the Smuggs ski shop for the binding plate repair. Great work!