Additional VDS layers

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

Additional VDS layers

Post by mattman »

So I have noticed a few manufacturers add VDS layers not only above the edge but also between sidewall material and fiberglass (especially on the bottom). Since many of them arent trying to market this as damping, I am assuming it is to reduce delams. Has anyone found this to improve bonding of sidewalls?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

We use rubber above and below on the uhmw.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
falls

Post by falls »

yeah pretty standard to lay thin strips of VDS over the upper and lower sides of UHMWPE sidewalls. Not necessary for wood sidewalls in my opinion
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mattman

Post by mattman »

and you guys have found that it improves bonding? Or do you just do it because "better safe than sorry"?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Rubber improves bonding over the long haul but hand peel test kinda shows a diffrence but over the life of the ski flexing repeadly it will help the eelam factor.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

great... where was this post at 10:30 am on Saturday... I don't know how I missed this with my "years" worth of reading on this site.

well I'll keep my fingers crossed. looks like on my next ski I'll be doing this.

After reading this and looking at several skis at the store, very closely today. There are some companies that do this and some that don't and let me tell you there are A LOT of errors with the commercial boys skis when you get up close and personal with them. Some VDS looked like ribbon candy above the edge.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

After reading this and looking at several skis at the store, very closely today. There are some companies that do this and some that don't and let me tell you there are A LOT of errors with the commercial boys skis when you get up close and personal with them. Some VDS looked like ribbon candy above the edge.
Skimann20 - I noticed the same thing the other day when looking at commercial skis with a friend. VDS is a mess! And some of the companies (Solomon) are using 3/4 edge wrap plus a third piece on the tip. However they're about 2mm away from meeting up with the edges, just filled in with epoxy.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Vds is also white yellow and you cant see it. Its in there.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Jekul wrote:
Skimann20 - I noticed the same thing the other day when looking at commercial skis with a friend. VDS is a mess! And some of the companies (Solomon) are using 3/4 edge wrap plus a third piece on the tip. However they're about 2mm away from meeting up with the edges, just filled in with epoxy.
Yea it's surprising what you see out there. I had a couple of guys over last night and they were checking out my setup. We got to talking about ski construction and I had to dispel a lot of myths they longed believed in. Started talking about tip fill and he thought that I was taking a shortcut and it was a weak point (all true to some extent....). I told him almost all the major manufactures do it to some degree and I got that dog look, uh? Then I showed it to him on his ski, which was a nice 165cm Fischer Race SL ski and pointed out the sidewall on his ski was plastic (UMHW or ABS) and that its probably only 3-4mm thick, if that. In the end he was amazed a ski can be made in a somebody's basement. He'll be borrowing a pair for a demo test sometime this week. :D
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Spread the word and the truth! I have a couple pairs loaned out right now, unfortunately they are geared towards powder and the snow in CO is pretty sparse.
summitskier

Post by summitskier »

who is the manufacturer of VDS?
vinman

Post by vinman »

^^Habberkorn
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Vds group buy again?
summitskier

Post by summitskier »

im in
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its a min 600 usd order from austria. Tough to get enough people in on one thickness and width to make it work. Tried it last year. Should talk to pat and scott and see maybe. Some people order from the japanese company that makes the anser sher sheet as well.