carbon amount in fat skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

wingworks

carbon amount in fat skis

Post by wingworks »

ready to try megawatt style ski any advice on amount of carbon strands under bottom triax?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Depends on the weight of carbon you're using.

I don't know what a megawatt is.

I use a 3" wide strip of 9.7oz carbon on the top and bottom of my skis, with 20oz triax top and bottom. Obviously there are a lot more variables at play here - core shape, core thickness, camber, etc.
wingworks

Post by wingworks »

#1 are you telemark skiing
#2 do you like the ski?
#3how much do you weigh
dimensions of ski at the rocker contact points and foot?
thickness at said dimensions
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Its really hard to compare one person's builds with anothers due to material differences.

1 - I do not telemark
2 - I LOVE my skis
3 - I weigh 130lb (I'm tiny, 5'5")

I use bamboo for my cores, so they're already pretty stiff before adding the composites. My bamboo cores are 10mm at the thickest part (boot center) and taper to 2mm where it meets the tip spacer (6" from the tip/tail). I don't know what the core thickness is where the rocker tips start... 3mm-ish? I also don't use a linear taper on my cores, its a swoopy spline shape.
wingworks

Post by wingworks »

---any one know if they put the carbon on the top of the core just to ensure camber stays equal to mold during cool down?
--- what i am seeing in some commercial skis where you can see through the top and bottom sheet is tows of carbon fiber the length of the ski
-but it is hard to figure out exactly what size tow by eye--- common tows are 3K, 6K, and 12K. ----"12k=12000 filaments "---see aircraft spruce---but i have not seen any one describe the tows in diameter or dimension

fabric suppliers, describe their materials by weight per unit area of the dry fabric. ------ ounces per square yard,--along with the" k "count of each tow
wingworks

Post by wingworks »

hey twizz we guys all are around 190lbs so yes we will not be building our skis the same----however my wife needs some so any dimension/composite info will be used to build her ride as we have no starting point for that weight range --
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

To confuse matters even more, some manufacturers put carbon on the top only! I've still never figured that one out, but it works and lots of people do it. I always do symetric layups top and bottom just to minimize variables.
wingworks

adhesive

Post by wingworks »

hi twizz:
can you help me out----in a bind
looking to purchase a small amount of adhesive primer

dms 2169,type a (br 6747-1 only)

can you email me at
wingworks@snet.net

wingworks.com

thanks mark
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Uh.. sure I can email you. I'm not sure why you're asking me? Email on its way.
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

Mark,
Did you have some bonding issues with the aluminum layers in you last pair of skis? It appears like you are getting ready to prep your metal layers with AC-130? I considered AC-130 but couldn't swallow the cost for the smaller 50ml packages. Buying in bulk, 1 liter?, I think the cost went down to appx. $17/pair of skis (4 metal layers, both sides). I'm interested in how your experiment goes. Until then, I'll just chromate convert and layup within 24 hours :)
hamerhead

Post by hamerhead »

we have been using a 50mm stringer of 470grm unidirectional carbon as the last before the topsheet the full length of the ski.
seem to have best results with that