ski press adjustable on height

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sir.orange

ski press adjustable on height

Post by sir.orange »

hi!
i m working with my skipress for almost 3 years now. it does a good job but it s always a stressful to load/unload it with all heating mats, anti-deflection beams, narrow opening... im really tired of this procedure with this press as its very time consuming and i want to improve my workflow.

here s a picture of my press, the deflection beam is put on teh right side: Image

my goal is to design a press (redesigning my press) with an adjustable (30cm) opening, driven by pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders. i still don t know weather the top or bottom beams should be the moved ones. i like yacks design: Image

has anyone done a press like that? i m wondering how i lock the driven beams for pressing. i doubt the cylinders could stand the pressure by the hoses, could they?? the cyclinders need to stop at certain positions, that position varies acording the ski shape like camber etc. what cylinders/system do you recommend for this project?

sir.o
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Check out my ski press man. Link:

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3981

Just using two bottle jacks on each end of the press to raise and lower the bottom jaw, then I use a series of four "crutches" on each leg of my press to lock the lower jaw in place. They're fastened with grade 8 bolts, but take none of the load. Only there to hold the legs from slipping inward. I can always make these crutches longer (well I'd have to cut new ones but whatever, easy enough) or cut them shorter for larger items. I can also position tune each crutch at different lengths to level the bottom jaw if it isn't pressing square, but it is.

The press itself is super easy to operate and if you work like a pit crew using a wrench and an air ratchet you can have the cassette into the press and the locks in, in about 3-4 minutes.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Maybe you could try something like this: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... sc&start=0

There were some other pics on here where the second hose was below the lower mold, which seemed less of a hustle.

I think I'll give it a try. I need to order some super wide hose anyway to start experimenting with convex base shapes.
andraj1

Post by andraj1 »

I am working on the same problem myself. I have been working through some designs. All of which I have the top being the adjustible part. My plan was to fill in the space between the top I beam and the moving one. I have always thought that the top would be the easier piece to deal with. Post of pictures of yours when your done, I would love to see it!
yack

Post by yack »

Hi everybody!

The probleme of making an adjustable height press is the cost (hydraulic cylinders). The best and cheapest alternative (my opinion) is to make a sort of drawer like that...
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 19c717e791
You only move the bottom mold for the layup and that's all!
I want to use wood, because it is easier for me to work with it but if you prefer you can use steal...

NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Yack
Did you take a look at my post a few up? ;) Basically the same press design as yours, and the hydraulic cylinders are just jacks that give my about 5" of free travel for loading. The only problem with it is that you need a few different sets of locks if you were going to be continuously changing the pressing height, but that's an issue that I'm ok dealing with.
yack

Post by yack »

Yop I did read your post ;-)

It is a great idea to deal with this "height problem". The thing that I doesn't really like is that you have to manipulate two bottle jacks....
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Has anyone thought of building one like Folsom Custom Skis' press?

They have a clamshell design that opens and closes at one end, making it very accessible when putting all the crap in. The only reason I ask, is I think its a great idea, and I'm curious what all goes into that machine.
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Yack
Aha yeah, it is a pain in the ass to have independent bottle jacks. I would like to run a hydraulic line to interconnect both of my jacks across my bottom press support. One day... One day...
gketcham
I seen someones press like that on facebook I think the other day. Thing looked like it worked very well. Had me all excited. Ill see if I can dig the post up.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

gketcham wrote:Has anyone thought of building one like Folsom Custom Skis' press?

They have a clamshell design that opens and closes at one end, making it very accessible when putting all the crap in. The only reason I ask, is I think its a great idea, and I'm curious what all goes into that machine.
did you try search?
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4265
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

NinetyFour wrote:
Aha yeah, it is a pain in the ass to have independent bottle jacks. I would like to run a hydraulic line to interconnect both of my jacks across my bottom press support. One day... One day...
how about firehose instead of bottle jokes? 2 short sections on one side and two more on another all connected to one air hose should inflate evenly. Just a thought
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

yack wrote:Hi everybody!

The probleme of making an adjustable height press is the cost (hydraulic cylinders). The best and cheapest alternative (my opinion) is to make a sort of drawer like that...
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 19c717e791
You only move the bottom mold for the layup and that's all!
I want to use wood, because it is easier for me to work with it but if you prefer you can use steal...

Yack-- I am into this, but I've yet to build and operate a press. From your sketch, looks like you have more of a table than a drawer? You manually slide the bottom mold out and it rests on that platform right? My thoughts on this are that it's easy, cheap, takes up some space, but sliding the mold in and out might be a bit of a pain? Anyone try this ever?
yack

Post by yack »

If you have to slide some mdf on mdf... no problem! it is really easy, but you can add a layyer of aluminium or something like that so it will be easier.
I tried with 2 planks of mdf and it works fine, but I didn't put the mold on it... so it could be more difficult with the mold on it...