Base grinder

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dimitar

Base grinder

Post by Dimitar »

Hello from Bulgaria, this is my first post here, I have read almost the entire forum (it took me more than 3 months...) and now I`m preparing an equipment list for my future snowboard building shop. I found most of the tools on our market, but I didn`t find any base grinder wide enough for snowboard. According to all cost I have, I`m looking for cheap reasonable solution.

I found some belt sander produced by bosch:

bosch-do-it.co.uk/boptocs2-uk/DIY/Tools/GB/en/hw/Belt+sanders/95253/PBS+75+A/33611/3165140633178/index.htm

Do you think it is suitable for base grinding?

Thanks
Dimitar
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hi Dimitar

I don't think anyone has reported making belt sanders work without water and you don't want to put water near this sander.

If your bases are coming out flat and mostly clean, then you might want to experiment with wet and dry paper ... aluminium oxide. It depends on what you have locally, as the grit needs to be super sharp. Start circa 250 grit.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

you need water cooling in order to keep the base from burning up, plus i doubt that you'll get the bases flat with it.

except for building a wide drum sander with some sort of sprinkler, there's no cheap alternative to buying a base sander. look around for used units... in europe prices for used sanders start at about 1000 euros.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Ok hows this for an idea....

I just saw a wood flooring sander for sale. They run on 220v usually and are pretty wide. They make belt and drum versions. Maybe some wet dry sand paper and some lube system you could have yourself a base grinder. Mount it upside down of course or maybe just drive the damn thing right over all your skis on the garage floor i dont know. Hmmmmm anyone every destroy their wood floors with one of these beasts?
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

I'm no expert, but i read all 9 pages of this thread: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... &start=105