epoxy amounts

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zachjowi

epoxy amounts

Post by zachjowi »

how many skis would a gallon of epoxy make in general?

thanks
zack726

Post by zack726 »

And to follow that up, how much epoxy do you need per ski?
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

zack726 wrote:And to follow that up, how much epoxy do you need per ski?
I am not sure becuase I have never made skis I was just getting a rough guess. 1 gallon a ski 4 gallons a ski, etc
zack726

Post by zack726 »

According to snowboardmaterials.com 1 litre is enough for 1 snowboard. That is without making a laminated core though. I'd guess 1 litre a ski, so 2 for both (if you laminate the core). But im not sure.
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
Greg

Post by Greg »

I typically use about 28 fluid oz per ski. so that is about .8 liters, I think. A gallon of epoxy ussually lasts me 4 or 5 skis (2.5 pairs). I go pretty heavy on the epoxy though because my epoxy starts to gel in 15 minutes, and I would much rather have leftover epoxy than run out and have to mix more or try to spread what I have thin (this never works out well)
davide

Post by davide »

0.5 Kg per one pair is more than enough.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Davide,
How thick is your epoxy (does it flow like honey or more like water)? I ask this because one of the other reasons I use so much epoxy is that my epoxy is really thick which makes it a little more difficult to wet out all of the fiberglass.
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

Greg wrote:Davide,
How thick is your epoxy (does it flow like honey or more like water)? I ask this because one of the other reasons I use so much epoxy is that my epoxy is really thick which makes it a little more difficult to wet out all of the fiberglass.
i don't have any epoxy yet becuase I don't know what is good to get
davide

Post by davide »

My epoxy is rather thick, but I manage to put a thin layer using a flexible metal scraper. In the beginning I was using a brush, and it worked fine.
People building RC gliders manage to put ridicolous amount of epoxy.

If you think your epoxy is too thick, try to warm it up a bit (25°-30°), but be careful.
Alex

Post by Alex »

You should use epoxy made for laminating puposes which is quite fluid. Alternatively you may use a thinner which is available for most epoxy resins.

The easiest way to apply it to the fabric is a plastic scraper. If you've got epoxy with a long potlife you may use a paint-brush which is the way to get the highest ratio fiber/epoxy but takes more than an hour for laminating a ski.