QCM temp = time

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

QCM temp = time

Post by hegan »

Making the switch from West System to QCM and been searching for a while for a temp vs time cured list and can not find one, anyone know where one is? Going to be using ECA 032 hardener and EMV 0043 resin.
vinman

Post by vinman »

That combo cures at 160-170deg F in 15-20 min.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
hegan

Post by hegan »

Ok great, what about 60 - 70 deg f ?
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have no idea about room temp cure
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
hegan

Post by hegan »

Yeah that is what I'm having a hard time finding.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Room temp cure times are quite long with that combination.
I've always used some heat to speed things along but still would press for 8-12hrs.
I really didn't like the viscosity of the qcm, found it to be way too thick, especially after using west.
I've recently switched to Resin Research. The viscosity is much thinner and cure times are shorter. Way easier wetout.
Both (well, all) benefit from heat, either during pressing or post cure.
Without heat your probably looking at a week for full cure at room temp.
Email or call forrest paints, they should be able to give you technical information. The last time I called I spoke with Brenda Williams, she should have more specific info.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hegan

Post by hegan »

So QCM might be a bad choice for room temp?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The QCM (isn't it now Forrest something or other?) you're looking at is designed for a heated cure. Don't use that stuff with a room temp cure, it will take forever and you'll have poor results. Get something designed for a room temp cure, QCM (err uh, Forrest) may have something better suited for that.
sammer

Post by sammer »

That combo is what QCM recommended to me for room temp cure way back when.
It will cure hard in about 12hrs but still hasn't finished its chemical reaction for about a week, unless you can get some heat into it.
The resin research I'm using now has about the same cure schedule but is almost like water, it wets out so quick and easy and cures hard in about 6-8hrs in my cold basement.
Might be a little thin for pneumatic press, works great with vacuum.
I still use heat (old electric blanket) to speed up the cure. And wait a week to cut the flash just to be sure.

Note... If you order from resin research call them and get the UV additive package. I bought 4 gal assuming it was in there but it's not, you have to specify!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

hegan

Post by hegan »

Thanks guys, I'm going to stick with West System it cures in the time and temps that they list. Rather not risk QCM (which is what forrest has it listed as on their site) taking a week to cure.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Just tried a little test out I had some spare foam board insulation laying around made a quick box and tossed a space heater on the end and it warmed up to 120 f in about 10 minutes. So might be buying the QCM after all.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I don't think you understood what I'm saying (perhaps it wasn't as clear as I thought)
Crosslinking takes a fair bit of time.
Read up on the chemistry of epoxy and you'll find the west probably takes close to a week to reach full cure at room temps as well.
Your ski/board may feel hard after 12hrs but the epoxy is still cooking away a few days later.
Even if you heat to 180f your epoxy is probably not fully cured when you pull it from the mold 45mins later.

Read this... http://www.epoxyproducts.com/25points4u.html

I hope this helps.

If anyone wants to debate this let me know,
I'm not an expert in this stuff but have spent a bit of time researching.

sam
Last edited by sammer on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hegan

Post by hegan »

No I understand I just don't want to wait 24 hours to remove a ski from the mold. I always wait a week before cutting the skis after they been pressed.
hegan

Post by hegan »

made an order, kind of excited to try something new.
hegan

Post by hegan »

That page with the info made my eyes want to jump out of my head. Ended up copy and pasting to word.