Silicone for blankets

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Silicone for blankets

Post by MadRussian »

This probably has been covered somewhere but I couldn't find it.
Why for making heat blankets everybody using two parts silicone? Why not use one part silicone in 10oz tubes? Obviously high-temperature kind up to 400°.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Viscosity?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Viscosity?

I don't know the number.
10oz silicone all about the same to me. Fairly liquid when wet. Can you explain please.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

the two part stuff I have used is definitely thinner than the stuff you use for caulking, so easier to vaccume bag also, the 2 part will cure with heat, not sure about the 1 part, prolly speed it up but not that much.
2 part most likely has better elongation at break and tear strength, more durable and may bond better with non silicon type materials most likely.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:the two part stuff I have used is definitely thinner than the stuff you use for caulking, so easier to vaccume bag also, the 2 part will cure with heat, not sure about the 1 part, prolly speed it up but not that much.
2 part most likely has better elongation at break and tear strength, more durable and may bond better with non silicon type materials most likely.
Don't know about elongation at break and tear strength. IMO reinforced with mesh and outer shell it shouldn't make that much difference. Bonding seems like fine in my test

troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Cost is number one, you can get a 9 pound tub of two part for $80 shipped enough for 3 heat mats. Silcone in a tube feels kinda wierd once cured.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

troublemaker wrote:Cost is number one, you can get a 9 pound tub of two part for $80 shipped enough for 3 heat mats. Silcone in a tube feels kinda wierd once cured.
If cost number one reason then 10oz tubes cheaper for me and don't need to be shipped.
I checked another day commercially made blanket it need very little of silicon just enough to hold all components together not even 1/16" thickness
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

I tried using tubes of silicone from the auto parts store once, seemed like they were about $10 per tube. The stuff in the tubes would probably work with the material you sent me. If you were to build the whole mat out of the tubes I think it would be really hard to spread out evenly.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

troublemaker wrote:I tried using tubes of silicone from the auto parts store once, seemed like they were about $10 per tube. The stuff in the tubes would probably work with the material you sent me. If you were to build the whole mat out of the tubes I think it would be really hard to spread out evenly.
Obviously I'm not talking retail price ;)

Yes it will be challenge to make silicone smooth especially do it all in one shot. If I have to guess before making some small-scale trials. Should be 2 or 3 steps with silicone drying in between to make it all works. I done some plaster and cement work this shouldn't be that much different. Need practice a little