nordic skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

poorcousin

nordic skis

Post by poorcousin »

How about constructing nordic skis? How different would it be and where to source the bases? I've looked at my factory made skis and they look like they are just wood core,base material, and a thin top coat. If anybody has any ideas i'd like to hear.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I think I'd approach the project generally the same as for DH skis. The only thing I might consider doin is either sweating the core & molding the camber into the ski, or you could make the ski super thick and then mill the camber into the core. I've been considering milling the camber into the next core we build. My first pair of skis went back to 0 camber after the first use.
justin56

Post by justin56 »

One thing you can try is building a jig for cutting the scale pattern.

You might want to look at a pair of production skis that have the pattern you want. A few simple measurements should show you what you need to do. It is one of those problems that appears to be difficult but actually is simply a matter of "perspective." Once you see it, you understand how you have to remove material.

-J