Epoxy

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zack726

Epoxy

Post by zack726 »

I know a guy who works for 3M and has offered me virtually unlimited free epoxy. The problem is - it is the type of epoxy used with fiberglass on the inside of car bumpers for rigidity. He says he is not sure if it will be too stiff- but he admits he is no expert on this matter. I need your knowledge! This is an awesome offer - but is this kind of epoxy too stiff?

Thanks as always.
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
collin

Post by collin »

I don't have an answer, but if you know the specific model/type number of the epoxy it might help some one who does.

And you should send me a few gallons.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
zack726

Post by zack726 »

littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I need a few gallons as well :D

West Systems epoxy has been successfully in the past. Here's the website: http://www.westsystem.com/

I would try to find a 3M epoxy with comparable properties.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
zack726

Post by zack726 »

One quick clarification would help a lot - does the stiffness come from the epoxy and fiberglass? Or just the fiberglass? The epoxy I can get has a hardness (Shore D) of 60 vs. 80 in most of the commonly used ski stuff. This is a signifigant amount, but with 22oz triaxial fiberglass (I cou7ld do 2 layers or more...) and a maple core, do you think I'td work out?

I'm gonna get some and use a little bit of fiberglass and bend the hell out of it. I'll tell how it works out for others information in terms of softer epoxy.
collin

Post by collin »

I could be wrong but I want to say that hardness and stiffness are two different things. If I were you I'd call the number that was in the pdf you linked (at the bottom) and try to get as much info on the physical properties of the epoxy as you can. Like the properties listed for WestSystems.

One thing that worries me is the viscosity. The WestSystems is listed at 725-975 CPS and the 3M DP190 is listed at any where from 2000-150000 CPS depending on translucent/gray/base/hardener.

According to this page that's a viscosity range for the 3M stuff of something like maple syrup to peanutbutter. I think that it would be basically impossible to get something that thick to work it's way into the fiberglass.

I know nothing beats free, but there are cheap (not WestSystems) epoxys out there that I think would work a lot better.

Anybody wanna back me up here?
To request additional product information or to arrange for sales assistance, call toll free 1-800-362-3550
or visit www.3M.com/adhesives. Address correspondence to: 3M Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division,
Building 21-1W-10, 900 Bush Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000. Our fax number is 651-778-4244.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

The stiffness comes in the majority from the glass fibre - not the epoxy.

B