Titanal is Al-7068T6 with phosphoric acid anodization

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

test away then
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

whatever you decide to do, thanks for all the good info.

I do encourage you to get a setup and learn to build these things because when you're riding your own stuff, it changes your life. Next thing you know, they're actually really good and everyone around you wants them too :)

work the two side by side, learn to make a good pair of skis... while youre working on these samples... then both will mature and you may be ready to build the ski to your ideal setup :).
Doug
goneskiing

Post by goneskiing »

i'm picking up some .3mm samples (whatever the american equivalent is of that size) from alreco this week in denver. they seem to have an enormous selection. i could get that thickness in 2024 or 6068(?). i looked up the stats on these and it seems the 2024 was better. at least from the info i got. i was originally calling them about the 7075 because i had read earlier last week that it was the "standard" for binding retention plates while watching everyone on tgr find out if they could mount their new plum bindings on current skis. i figured that while i was buying some metal might as well play with it in the layup. a 4x8 sheet of the 2024 was only 60 bucks or something...."only". shouldn't say that so freely. but i've been laying up with carbon and honeycomb so i'm just trying to get some extra strength out of the big landings. i have a rubber additive for my resin so i'm expecting that to compensate some of the dampness. i guess i've gone off track but if you're looking for a supplier that company might be worth looking into!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think the temper on the 2024 would be bad news.
Instead of rebounding in the laminate it would just bend and you would be left with an over rockered ski most likely.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
goneskiing

Post by goneskiing »

kinda like lead?

hey btw how'd you know that little fact. have you used the 2024 before on other projects or was there a stat in the mechanical data of it that you were able to read.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

have a look here
http://www.aerospacemetals.com/aluminum ... butor.html
and do some caparisons.
I dont really know what im talking about.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
goneskiing

Post by goneskiing »

lol. as always much appreciated montucky. I was downtown today and stopped by daves place at grace skis. we chatted a little about metal and he said similar things. that even with big name skis he's taken big landings and ended up with a permanently bent ski. and you know that they're using the good stuff.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I think what these guys are telling you is a story that should be sung to most "newbies", as you state you are.

you are going to screw up, so do it with reasonably priced material until you have figured it out (you don't have to ride the skis more than once), then try an expensive metal build.

If you are some super god engineer, who is just going to build the best pair of metal skis ever, because the ones in the store are not good enough for you, then why the hell are you here asking question to a bunch of guys who are still messing up standard builds.

go dance among the elite somewhere.....

Ive only been here for a few years, but seen many new people to the forum talk a bunch of tech smack and then you never see a picture or even another post from them.

oh ya, Good Luck.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Dtrain wrote:I think what these guys are telling you is a story that should be sung to most "newbies", as you state you are.

you are going to screw up, so do it with reasonably priced material until you have figured it out (you don't have to ride the skis more than once), then try an expensive metal build.

If you are some super god engineer, who is just going to build the best pair of metal skis ever, because the ones in the store are not good enough for you, then why the hell are you here asking question to a bunch of guys who are still messing up standard builds.

go dance among the elite somewhere.....

Ive only been here for a few years, but seen many new people to the forum talk a bunch of tech smack and then you never see a picture or even another post from them.

oh ya, Good Luck.
This ^ may sound harsh but Dtrain is right, make a few boards before spending large amounts of cash on your dream board.
It all sounds simple enough, plan out a shape, make a core and press it all together.
Your 1st board may come out flawless, but I can guarantee if it does its just dumb luck.
There's a huge learning curve here and book smarts can't always overcome it.
Not trying to dissuade you from trying something new, and if you've got buckets full of cash go for it, but....

When you see the phrase "it's always something" you'll soon know what it means.
Keep us posted. We all love good pics. And a good write up whether success or failure. (no one here will mock your failure!)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Not to add to the hate, but don't you also need rubber to use with the titanal? If I recall that is equally as hard to source as the titanal itself. Good luck...
goneskiing

Post by goneskiing »

the whole piece of metal covered in rubber? i looked at a pair of my friend's mantras last week and flipped them upside down. it had a clear base and you could see the bottom layer of metal layed up inside. from what i saw it looked like it was just placed in there but it would make sense to have rubber, not only for helping to dampen it but since we use the vds on our edges to prevent delam.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

While I personally have no interest in doing any metal in my skis, I just noticed Kelvin has titanal on BlankSlateSkis now.

Heads up!

http://www.blankslateskis.com/titanal-s ... m-x-0-4mm/
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks for the heads up Twizz. I was excited for a minute, I'd been looking for an alternative to titanal for awhile. At 39 inches long (1000mm) it's not long enough for a single sheet for a ski, but would work as a re-reinforcement in the binding area or where ever you choose. It will certainly add a significant cost to a ski. At least we have a source now! Thanks.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I didn't even notice the dimensions... bummer. Might be worth a chat with Kelvin to see if he can source it in longer lengths.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Maybe its just to reflect that the price is per meter...afaik titanal was sold in rolls.