Pressurized vacuum press design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

BigG

Pressurized vacuum press design

Post by BigG »

Hi,

I've been working on a completely new press design. It's not completely finished but here is the idea.

I would use a HDPE100 pipe with a minimal diameter from 280 which has an internal diameter from 229. At the ends I would attach a removable blind end. with 2 connection points at 1 side and 2 at the other:
- warm pressurized air
- vacuum
- temperature measurement
- pressure release valve

HDPE is used for security reasons: HDPE should be able to hold 3-4 bars at temps from 70 Celsius. But if it would fail, it would fail slowly and cracks would be the result but it won't explode.

This would mean I could be press any form thanks to vacuum bag to about 4-5bars.

The technical information was checked by one of the biggest plastic manufacturers in Europe.

Price would be about 600 Euros (completely mounted - without compressor and vacuum equipment). I think it is not so cheap and in this design I think I wouldn't be able to press two skis at a time. But by adding a 150-200 Euro I would be able to press 2 skis or a wide board in it.

What is your opinion?

BigG
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have been playing with the autoclave idea for YEARS...ultimately a steel box is my goal...but its too expensive for now. I was never able to find PVC large enough...my mold is 12" wide, so I need an inside diameter of at least 14", preferably 16. The best thing i have found is discharge hose rated for 35psi. I am currently trying to use an inflated skidder tube with an mdf and steel box built around it...but can never seem to get the open/close end to seal properly. how exactly are you sealing the end of your pvc so that it is reusable? and how large of an ID have you been able to find? I am really interested an any info you can provide...i really trust my vacuum method over the press method, but desire the higher pressure.
BigG

Post by BigG »

Hi Mattman,

You have to see the difference between PVC en HDPE.

PVC is much more dangerous than HDPE. PVC can explode in hundreds of pieces where HDPE will crack release the pressure.

I had an offer for the complete mounting so I presume they add the necessary seal.

BigG
mattman

Post by mattman »

yes, i can see that HDPE will be safer...polyethelene has the ability to be cold formed which makes it much more shatter proof. but as far as the seal goes, even if they seal one side, you are going to have to be able to open and close the other side (in order to insert and remove your vacuum layup). when you do this, how do you intend to quickly seal that end?