Red Balau, Batu

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

vinman wrote:Check out the hitachi ja10 blades, carbide tipped jig saw blades. I made 11 pair this season, only used 1 jigsaw blade all season.
found this info after searching your blog. BooYa for searching and your very informative blog thanks Vin! they came in the mail today. maybe I'll have another pair to cut out this weekend.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skimann20 wrote:
skidesmond wrote:(reviewing some past posts...)

Doug are you asking about Ipe? If so, the wood is nearly indestructible and it's a hardwood not composite. It's almost 3 times harder than maple of oak. It's also heavy.
ummm ridiculously heavy! ;-) what saw blade do you use to cut the flash? this stuff is crazy dense, can you make it through a side without changing a blade out?
I started using a grit blades on the jig saw and was able to use 1 blade to cut out the last pair of skis. It cuts through the thinner material easily but when you get nearer the center of the ski where the core is thicker the blade starts to work hard and heat up. The grit blade was pretty much spent after 1 set of skis. I was going through about 4-5 carbide blades. Ipe cuts fine on the table saw and other bigger power tools. But the jig saw blade has such a small cutting surface it just eats up the blade.

Before I starting using the grit blade I was second guessing the use of Ipe. Sure it's heavy and dense and probably over kill for sidewall. But it also looks awesome when it's done.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skimann20 wrote:
skidesmond wrote:I lost my Ipe supplier, retired. I should have enough for this season. But I guess I should shop for another supplier or different hardwood for sidewalls.

Nice skis!
Plenty of places in Boston. Let me know if you want some. I'd at least save you the drive into the city... Is the woodery closer for you, they have it?
I think I found a source locally in Greenfield ( http://www.copperbeech.com/index.php. ) Waiting to hear back if they have any in stock.
vinman

Post by vinman »

SD those blades I mentioned are not carbide grit, they are carbide tipped. Google hitachi ja10
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

vinman wrote:SD those blades I mentioned are not carbide grit, they are carbide tipped. Google hitachi ja10
I know. The Bosch Carbide blades I was using before didn't last on ipe. Otherwise they are good blades. When I switched to a grit blade I was able to get 1 set of skis cut out with 1 grit blade.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MadRussian wrote:
skimann20 wrote:
Plenty of places in Boston. Let me know if you want some. I'd at least save you the drive into the city... Is the woodery closer for you, they have it?
what is the going price for IPE? for now I have enough "scrap" from construction site had to dumpster dive for it lol but don't know any actual suppliers of the wood

What about other options for wood sidewalls? I read somewhere Garapa and tigerwood have similar characteristics as IPE. How about mahogany? It's also used on outdoor decking
I just bought some 1"x4"x8' Ipe for $2.75 per linear foot. Got it at http://www.mainstreetmillwork.com/ in Greenfield Ma. I over heard the guys there saying they ordered it from Coastal. A google search found this place http://coastalforestproducts.com/ in NH or perhaps this place http://www.coastalwoodindustries.com/