Section8 2013-2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

Full width
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Cool. I'll go with the 4.7 CF since the wood core is already pretty hefty 3-12-3 ,ash with the ipe sidewall.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Your biax flax 4.7uni cf and a 12 mm waist should be plenty stiff. Be sure to put your cf next to the core. Tip from a buddy in big time snowboard biz.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

carbon uni and flax will be a very cool combo for a light weight ski, not too damp and not too nervous...
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I just made a splitboard with 3.7ounce 45/45 carbon, and 4 ounce uni carbon. I used close to my usual core thickness, and the thing came out stiff as hell. I rode it today, way to stiff. unmanageable torsional stiffness. carved groomers like a laser, but in the waist deep backcountry it was hard turning and nose dove on anything that was not super steep. my carbon experiment is bound to be retired on the wall.

I am looking very forward to trying some flax also.

9 ounce unicarbon would be way to stiff(just my opinion)

Question........I plan to build this carbon splitboard again. thinning my core will make a world of difference in the tip to tail flex, but how much of an effect will it have on the torsional flex(softening it)?

Sorry for the thread hijack!
vinman

Post by vinman »

No idea on the core , but if all was you did was change to biax glass and maybe thin the core some, you'd probably be in the ball park.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its nice to make $250 doller things and put holes in them and hang them on the wall.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I clearly messed upped in my novice composites calculations. I don't think of my experimenting as waste really. Just part of the hobby.

When was the last time I saw a post with anthing that you made sucsessfully or unsucessfully for that matter MM?

All I see from you is enough criticism and smart remarks to make me think you hardly build skis, and are probably just a bored man with a beer gut trying to feel imoprtant.

You have not really contributed anything worth while to this site in a long time.

Maybe instead of mounting my splitboard on the shop wall, I'll mount your head. It will make for a good conversation piece.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

If you wanna have a less stiff ski without sacrificing strength you can make the ud bottom laminate lighter than the one above. Makes quite a big difference in stiffness. And I might help you out with the composite calculations to get exactly the same flex as one of your fg boards. If you're interested send me a pm...

Cheers Reto
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

All good info guys thanks! Vin, I saw a video (somewhere on the internet,I watch too much of that stuff :-) ) where the CF was on the inside covered over in another material. It wasn't FG or Flax, some other plasticy or nylon type material. It "mellowed" out the CF so it was less likely to snap and made it a little bit more pliable.

The 9 oz CF I used in my sample is way to stiff. It's tricky that CF it's so thin pliable until you lay it up and then it become rock hard.

I'll pick up some uni-CF in the 4-5 oz range.
Last edited by skidesmond on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

I wouldn't go too light with the fabric. You might weaken the ski because face wrinkling (or was it buckling? I always mess up the words in english...) Will occur more likely. That said I don't know what "too light" is. But probably a mix between a thinner core and lighter fabric might be the best solution.
vinman

Post by vinman »

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Hey D you should mount it to my head when you come by my shop and converse about custom skis.
I was merely being sarcastic as it happens to all of us.
You should see my wall of failures and I have to stop drinking.
I dont have time to upload pics and I help people everyday on here but I'm starting to think its a waste of time as no one listens at all.
Come by and I can make you something.
www.northsideskis.com
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

All good MM. I just had my panties in a bunch because this one did not work out well. I know you have good info.

But ya, hopefully the next one turns out. Last one was profiled at 2.2-7.2-2.4
This time I'll try 2-5.5-2.2 . just can't get over how stiff 3.7ounce biax could be.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

carbon fiber has about 4.7 times the specific stiffness as fiber glass.
I'm talking about a T700 standard carbon fiber type, but there are huge differences from carbon fiber type to type...