Volition 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

amidnightproject

Volition 2014

Post by amidnightproject »

Place Holder :D

Shifted out of the shop I had last two years to save money. And invest it elsewhere. So far it's cramped but working well. Pics to come!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

please do. and once that moguls profiling cores, let us know the ins and outs. I too am thinkin about ordering one. have to wait till the new shops built though.
amidnightproject

Dtrain wrote:please do. and once that moguls profiling cores, let us know the ins and outs. I too am thinkin about ordering one. have to wait till the new shops built though.
I certainly will.

So far it has some minor caveats. As to be expected. Nothing that's making me wish I hadn't purchased it however.
amidnightproject

Well, this is where I am at so far. Not far.... haha

I've only had weekends to work the last few weeks. Vacuum table is pretty much done as of yesterday. Just need to skim the surface and buy a couple more pvc T's for airflow.

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice work!

Just FYI: I found it harder to hold down slighty twisted woodcores on the style of vacuum table you have. The box with holes like donek snowboards uses it works better in my experience. Another advantage of the box is that you don't need gasket material to seal the vacuum table. You can just throw some garbage bags or any other airtight material onto the holes that are left open and you're good to go.
amidnightproject

chrismp wrote:Nice work!

Just FYI: I found it harder to hold down slighty twisted woodcores on the style of vacuum table you have. The box with holes like donek snowboards uses it works better in my experience. Another advantage of the box is that you don't need gasket material to seal the vacuum table. You can just throw some garbage bags or any other airtight material onto the holes that are left open and you're good to go.
Thanks for that info!!

I'm going to finish surfacing my table when I get my longer cable so I can surface it outside. Keep the mess out there.

I was thinking if this doesn't work I'll just line up the router with the grid and drill holes through the spoil board to the grid. I've got this table zoned with 4 sections and I'll just foam tape around the gridwork and the holes should still pull well I'd imagine. I was half wondering that chris! Thanks!
amidnightproject

Well, It works!

Cutting via vacuum hold down. Cut down to 3.8mm to be safe and make sure nothing was being over cut.

Next weekend will be actual cores.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

So awesome, Chris! Congratulations!!! Having the long-axis driving mechanics up high will be nice for dust/chips. With mine down below I have to be careful that chips don't build up and jam the gears.

You need to make a drag knife now :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great job!
amidnightproject

Thanks Twizz!

I'm trying to decide if I should make one or just buy one. Sometimes it's better to just fork over the green. I'll probably still make an attempt at it though haha. Trying to decide how I'd like to build it. Drill blanks or something else. Not sure yet.
amidnightproject

got some kinks ironed out. Started doing things today

skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

amidnightproject wrote:got some kinks ironed out. Started doing things today
great shot. no tip spacers?
amidnightproject

there is tip spacer. I run my cores up into the tails. Make's for a more lively ski.
amidnightproject

Found a Guy Fawkes mask to compliment my Vendetta lineup yesterday

amidnightproject

For those wondering the mogul is working quite well. I don't have the patience to write up a whole ton on it ATM but I plan to. It's been a good machine so far. It's by no means a shopbot or anything larger but it works. And it's saving me time. I'll try and have an actual write up soon.