FFC winter log

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

No snow in the mountains so far, so still a little time to get things done...

the mold is now more or less finished:

Cheers, Reto
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Found a solution to get a proper bonding between topsheet and paint as well as paint and laminate. Epoxy with flexibilisator and pigments. When I tried to rip of the topsheet it delaminated in the fiberglass. And in my opinion it looks gorgeous with the semi transparent decksheet and the flax laminate:

Cheers, Reto
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That looks REALLY nice! What kind of top is that? (forgive me if you already said, I haven't read everything)
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

its the layup I planed for the ski, I'm not even sure if I mentioned it before:

Topsheet
epoxy paint
UD Fiberglass
Biax flax fiber

then the core and flax and fiberglass again. Flax is a natural fiber with more or less the same stiffness as fiberglass at half the density.

I probably going to produce the whole deck laminate with vacuum infusion and glue it then onto the core to have a perfect void free finish.

And the latest design iteration - but that might change again. I'm good in changing my mind :)

Cheers, Reto
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I think what Twizz wanted to know is what type of topsheet material you're using (i.e. manufacturer and model). And I kinda want to know that too ;)
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

chrismp wrote:I think what Twizz wanted to know is what type of topsheet material you're using (i.e. manufacturer and model). And I kinda want to know that too ;)
Ah sry, I didn't get that. Honestly I have no clue what kind of top sheet that is. Its just something which was laying around here...
For me it feels like PE. One side treated for bonding, a protective film on the other side. And it is .4 mm thick and therefore way too heavy for touring skis...
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

so my thread was already quite far down, time to show some progress. But things go on slowly because my shop is not where I live...

But I managed to make all the templates for my fatties:

Cut out one base:

Modify a pair of pliers:

Cut out the balsa cores and glue the sidewalls on:

So far everything went super smooth - really frightening if everything turns out like planed :D
vinman

Post by vinman »

Looks good. Do you only have balsa or is there something harder under the binding screws?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

For the moment it's just a standard balsa core made from end grain and flat grain balsa with flax fiber shear-webs. But once the core is profiled I'm going to mill a pocket below the binding and put a birch-plywood reinforcement in there.
falls

Post by falls »

A few questions on the balsa if that's ok.
Did you get it from a reseller or direct from manufacturer?
What was the pricing like? Minimum order?
I am thinking of trying to get some to make a lighter ski for my girlfriend for touring.

PS. Most people don't cut out their base shapes until just before layup. Often it's ok but a lot of people have also experienced deformation of the plastic if it goes through temperature changes after being cut out - end result being asymmetry and not matching your template.
I cut my base material to length and lay it between 2 sheets of MDF for a few days to let it relax and flatten. Routing the shape from the template and puting the edges on is the last thing I do before laying it in the mold and laying up the skis.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

http://bcomp.ch/31-0-bCores.html

they also make flax fiber cloth.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

You can get the cores directly via Bcomp. These cores are test planks which can be ordered without any minimum quantities. They cost around 15€ a piece (piece, not pair).

These cores make quite a difference in weight but they are a little tricky to machine...

And thanks for the remark with the base. I cut the snowboard base in half two weeks ago and stored it flat since. So hopefully they won't warp. If yes I have to redo that bit. Right when I claimed everything went perfectly :D
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I have no trouble with snowboard bases. I think they are wide enough to hold shape more than a ski will.
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks Chris. I couldn't find that other thread about this.
falls

Post by falls »

And thanks sleeping awake