Goz thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

What type of camber profile is it? You might be able to use it as a jib board? Time to practice your butters maybe :D
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

gav wa wrote:What type of camber profile is it? You might be able to use it as a jib board? Time to practice your butters maybe :D
Its a cambered splitboard.
Im not concerned, it was an experiment and it didnt work, end of story IMO. It wont be the first board Ive hung on the wall without riding ;-)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MontuckyMadman wrote:but every time you bring this up I site that g3 and several other major manufacturers use 90 degree fibers in skis, so either they dont have enginerds working for them or they are retards, one of the 2.

It must provide some additional support allowing them to reduce fiber weight somewhere or adds dampening or its all a lie and its marketing and they put it in there and waste material and money.
Yeah I don't know what to say - there are lots of things put into skis (or insert any other consumer product here) to sell them, that don't improve performance or functionality in any way. It's not a waste of material/money if it helps sell the product after all. That said - I'm an airplane guy, not a composites guy, but my basic composites education tells me the lateral fibers do virtually nothing (in a ski, not snowboard)

(sorry for the thread hijack... nothing to see here)
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I can confirm first hand that they do nothing ;-)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

still looks nice!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

ive made 3 full carbon composite/woodcoresnowboards. both the same weight of carbon. 8.0 ouce biax 0/90, and 8.4 ounce triax (4 ounce uni, 4.4 ounce 45/45).

the triax was way too stiff, and the biax was perfect.

be noted though that the biax board was bamboo, and the triax was sitka spruce, yellow cedar and bamboo.

so not apples to apples.

I love triax flex all round, but even with only 8 ounce carbon, I cant make a board that is not stiff as a door without thinning out the core to an toothpick(under 6mm).

I made another carbon triax attempt with a paulownia core with yellow cedar under the main binding inserts. 6mm core. came out with a perfect flex, light a feather, but it snapped under a moderate hand flex when pressure was applied in the splitmode to one "ski" of the board.

paulownia was too soft, other woods made the deck too stiff.

for this reason I have givin ur for now with triax carbon and sticking with biax.

anyway, just my findings.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dtrain, if you took a board with biax, kept everything the same, but removed the 90 deg fibers entirely, leaving just the longitudinal fibers, it would have virtually the exact same longitudinal stiffness, just less fiber (=less weight, though not much). Might be too soft laterally though (again snowboards are different than skis because of the width)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

D? Were those 12k carbons?
Where did you find. 4.4oz 45,45 or did you make it from uni tape?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

It was Formax. Yes, it was 12k. I got a 16meter shortend of 50'' wide from a guy in the UK.

we made 2 identical sets of touring skis. one basalt/one carbon for a real comparisson. the first guy to demo the carbon ones asked to buy them. So, we never really got there. the flex was almost identical, but the carbon really wants to rebound back to shape. there was a difference of 6 ounces a ski if I remember correctly.

Formax minimum order is 50lb of one fabric. big money$$$$$
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

my bad........actually 150grm fabric, 5.2 ounce/m2
pentagram

Post by pentagram »

Hi Dtrain,

Thank you for sharing your experience with carbon in the recent thread, for clarity could you please answer a couple of questions that would help a'lot?

You mention making a triax carbon board that was way to stiff with 4oz uni and 4.4oz bias 45/45 ( recently corrected to 5.2oz 150gm/szm?)
Was the problem with this lay up being way to stiff the torsion 45/45 or the longitude 0 flex or both?? I really appreciate for experience shared.

Greetings from New Zealand
pentagram

Post by pentagram »

Goz,

Really loving your boards look and design creativity.. All that snow in Australia right now has us Kiwis wanting to jump on the next plane to hit up your slopes for a change. Hope your getting a chance to put that pow board to the test report asap. Cheers!
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Unfortunately I will not be going till mid August this year due to moving to Japan late november. Im getting jealous at the moment though, its not often we get a 4 foot dump here in Australia ;-)

The one thing I really want to test out is my new crc profile to make sure the camber isnt too aggressive .
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

pentagram wrote:Hi Dtrain,

Thank you for sharing your experience with carbon in the recent thread, for clarity could you please answer a couple of questions that would help a'lot?

You mention making a triax carbon board that was way to stiff with 4oz uni and 4.4oz bias 45/45 ( recently corrected to 5.2oz 150gm/szm?)
Was the problem with this lay up being way to stiff the torsion 45/45 or the longitude 0 flex or both?? I really appreciate for experience shared.

Greetings from New Zealand

Yes, too stiff in both and the uni I used was only 100gsm(3.5 ounce).

I could of thinned out the core a tiny bit and used softer wood, but then your playing around with possibility of breaking it under load.

skis are easier beacause the coes are so much thicker.

I think bamboo is the answer. hard and soft flexing. But unfortunately, not as light.

maybe goz has the answer using the bamboo/paulownia mix?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

My comparison is hard to say cause Im comparing a split to solid.
I might build another one the same but use triax glass and compare weights.