So many problems.

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

*group hug*

Ok so if we all take a step back, can you confirm that this is true: you have dissimilar composite layups on the top vs the bottom of your build? If the answer is yes (you don't have to share it, although I think you did already confirm that), that is most likely the cause of your concavity/convexity. The only way to change this is to add concavity/convexity to your mold to compensate (not easy, not cheap), or change to a symmetric layup.

Adding additional composites to compensate is, in my mind, effectively the same as just making the layup symmetric, and that's the simplest method. Trying to fix it by adding lateral fibers (90 deg orientation) adds weight, complexity, variability, time, and cost.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

people trying to help you. You ask for help.
There is no line to be crossed.
IMHO If you're asking for help you have to provide people with all information they asking so they can assess the situation in full. Every little thing is important here.
Entitles for secrets in open forum :D
of course you're entitled for secrets of whatever you're doing...... don't ask for help.
I surprised MM giving you any advice at all ....he entitled for another medal just for doing it :)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

All well said. The general theme of this community is "open source ski building". It's slightly insulting to withhold information, while at the same time expecting all of us to freely share our expertise and experience.

That said, no harm no foul, everyone keep it nice or I'll start deleting posts :) There is still good discussion and troubleshooting to be had here, we all want you to succeed and have a million ideas to help you!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

every day I reduce the feeling or need to offer help at all for people like you.
I don't come on here when I have problems with my business and ask for help I figure it the f uc k out by myself.
I had an issue just this morning something I haven't had happen before. i think I have it figured out but only a test will tell, i don't come one here with half the data and ask people to fix it.
good luck but not really.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

remove your carbon

use the same glass top and bottom, use a topsheet.

see what happens, report back.

preheat your press so top and bottom are both relatively similar temps

or... setup a ramping cycle that heats the board slowly.

Do you have top and bottom heat? or just bottom heat? your materials will "curl" towards the heat source.

what side of the core are you putting the carbon on? above or below the core?
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

whatever you do, you need to get back to a BASELINE.

Build a standard board: base, glass, core, the same glass, topsheet.

no carbon, no kevlar, no rubber, no meat filler, just basics.

If you can get THAT to be flat, then do it again, the move on, then work on your additives or subtractions, one at a time!
Doug