Crisp Customs 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

I can't see in that moment video anything holding the cores in allignment. The one thing that I think really helps is the rebate in the core/sidewall. It forms a step up over the edges that stops the core from shifting sideways, especially if you get your top cassette sheet on and hold it down firmly before puting things in the press. Moment use the masking tape. I use a lot of zip ties.

By the way the edges in my photos look a bit rusty! I think I have skied about 30-40 days on those skis without any delam!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

well, thanks a lot again, falls! :)

30$ - it is about the same as in here. I will have to try it even with the "mold release wax" - that is what I mean... How I have written my is liquid and I got it from mainstream skibuilding factory, where they use exact cassettes, so they do not have to care about some base or core attaching...

I have built almost evrything I wanted this summer and now it is not even winter and I am planning new things for next summer ski building :D I should be more focused on my bachellors paper at school and on testing what I have already built. Skibuilding is very addictive for me! Waiting for some snowfall in Styria in the Austrian Alps! In Australia the season is already in the end, am I right? How is it with snow conditions there? I have heard only the best about the New Zealand BM skiing...
falls

Post by falls »

Our season ends around the first weekend in october if we are lucky and starts in the middle of june, again if we are lucky.
With snowmaking we have reasonably reliable skiing from july to september and often really good natural falls of snow, sometimes even dry powder if we are lucky. There is some good steep skiing in some resorts and some pretty good backcountry steeps, but usually they are a decent tour to get there (overnight is often best). It is fun skiing and better than not skiing at all! We are lucky because we often get to ski most of the year with skiing here and going to the northern hemisphere in our summer.
Here is a video of some of our backcountry in the spring https://vimeo.com/95354918 The wind blows in red sand from the desert centre and the snow gets red coloured areas in the spring.
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

The red spots look originally! Conditions there seems to be like there is not such a need for fat powder skis but some BM could be fully used there :) I like spring snow. If it is not too wet, it is comfortable for fast technical skiing and even allows to drop something bigger (that is possible to see in the cool edit above)

The knowledge about snow and snow conditions is very interesting for me. It is always good to ski in variable snow conditions. Powder skiing is good but skiing is not only about deep days. I know lots of people who go skiing just according to a weather forecast to hunt only deep pow. But I think that is not the way for skiers who are not based in powder famous areas... One my friend is totaly dedicated to skiing. He works only during summer and the rest of the year he spends in Austrian mountains, not in hotels or something like that, but he sleeps in a van or sometimes even in shelters, caves act. He knows maybe everything about weather, snow and mountains just because he spends so much time there and it is always pleasure for me to ski with him and listen to his experience about mauntains!

sorry, that is quite out of topic :)
falls

Post by falls »

Just getting a pair finished up for a friend heading to Big White in February. They are a belated christmas present. His wife is a graphic designer and she did the topsheet design which looks pretty cool I think. Heading up to the mountains for some mountain biking this weekend and drop the skis off for a base grind.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That color of blue is stunning! Well done.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thumbs up!
falls

Post by falls »

thanks guys. this pair has come up really nicely.
rockinB

Post by rockinB »

Great looking skis!!!
falls

Post by falls »

Noone has posted anything for a week! So here is a pair I am finishing up at the moment.
97mm waist. tip rocker, low tail, 19m radius
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Oooh they look great! Nice job! (I love your drum sander too)
Ro

Post by Ro »

Wow, those look really good! Nice job.

Have you beveled the sidewalls?
falls

Post by falls »

not bevelled yet
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Great looking skis. Those look fun! Thanks for posting. I was beginning to wonder if everyone is too busy out skiing.

I'm waiting til summer is officially here and then I'll resume some builds. In the meantime, I'm off to Utah and Colorado which will probably be my last skiing except for a Shasta trip. Barely any snow left in Tahoe.

Good to see you protected from the elements. I gear up likewise with full face respirator and the ear muffs.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dr. Delam wrote:I was beginning to wonder if everyone is too busy out skiing.
(I skied one day this winter... and have built nothing)