Crisp Customs 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Crisp Customs 2014

Post by falls »

Hi Everyone
Have been finishing off a pair of all mountain skis lately. Just need a base grind now before they are ready for our winter.
182cm 85mm underfoot 20 metre radius
Traditional camber with very slight early rise tip
Half twin tail
They are called the "Five O'Clock Charlie" named after a friend who skis all day then manages to do something stupid on the last run of the day around 5 O'Clock.
The topsheet is a nylon one from Miller with pictures from some of the places we have skied in the world.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Quality mate.
Are you using a flat mold and pulling camber with bottom heat?
falls

Post by falls »

No. Cambered mold (10mm). Top heat only.
This pair I let cool in the press because with top heat only I had been losing all the camber and ending up with a small reverse camber through the whole ski.
They have come out with some camber and a slightly convex base (go figure).
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Ahh. I am pressing tomorrow. Flat mold and ramping the bottom up before the top, first time with this set up and Im hoping for some camber.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Ahh. I am pressing tomorrow. Flat mold and ramping the bottom up before the top, first time with this set up and Im hoping for some camber.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Any temp differential top vs bottom.

I can get increased camber from a +10-15 degree difference in the bottom heat. This is with a cambered mold though. I think Dr Delam uses a flat mid and does all of his camber with heat differential.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

3 weeks til skiing for us. Theoretically anyway!
Press upgrades under way. Second blanket and second heat controller PID with ramp/soak. Also planning on permanently placing heat blankets in the press rather than rolling it out on top of the cassette and loading a really heavy thing into a narrow space.
New upgraded dual controller.
Dual ramp/soak auber pids
Dual external heat sink
Heat blanket plug in - all in the original small box

Boring stuff but should help me make a more consistent to the actual mold product. Getting some new bamboo on Monday then I'm ready for my next project - a 67mm waist slalom ski!
falls

Post by falls »

http://vimeo.com/m/96188929
Another time lapse on the last ski build.
Got new bamboo last weekend so hopefully get started on the next set this weekend.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

You using full bamboo?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Great video! I noticed you put an extra patch of fiberglass over the tip spacers? What's that for?
falls

Post by falls »

Full bamboo. Wall to wall.

Twizz. Extra glass to match core thickness around 3mm to spacer thickness around 2mm
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

Nice, I showed the video to my girlfriend and said "see this guy gets his partner to help him make his skis"

she's been put on notice!
falls

Post by falls »

Unfortunately I don't shred half as hard as Pavel, but here's a look at last weekend in Australia after 130cm in a week got the season underway from a grassy start.
https://vimeo.com/99627494
Skiing on the new 85cm underfoot "5 O'Clock Charlie" traditional all mountain ski. Good fun. Nice on gromers. Missing the width and rocker in the powder a bit.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Conditions look great. Im going for some bc this weekend ;-)
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

Nice skis man, i love the graphics...

You all here have already built more skis or boards then me and I ve learned too much things but I have few things I wouldn t do...

I dont like the idea with heat affecting camber. it is for sure possible to use this method but while doing this, there should be unpredictable tension in ski or board which could release in future.… I asked my epoxy "supplier" and he also told me not to use different temperatures of glued materials, cause of unpredictable tension in composite then.

In fact I use temperatures about 40°C and let the skis in press for 24hours (I dont hurry with it). If I use bottom form with 12 mm camber, it leads to camber about 7-8 mm. I ve pressed 3 pairs with that form recently and all cambers seems to be pretty same.

At first I didnt like the fact that thecamber is smaller then form but after I asked one commercial skibuilder and he told me that it is usual and it is necessary to set up the form a bit "more"

In future I plan to put more from my skibuilding in here but at first I Have to learn how to put images to text.... :( :D