Duravision 5050

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bhenry

Duravision 5050

Post by bhenry »

Has anyone used the Duravision 5050 top sheet and if so are you happy with the durability at the edges? We have used it on a couple pair and
it seems to easily carve off when hit by the edges. Could this be partially due to bamboo sidewalls. Would nylon be a better choice?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I got a sample of it. It seemed just like the tpu from socrep but thicker.
I was not impressed with its bench durability. The nylon is much more durable in my opinion.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Hmmm, just ordered more 5050.

MM, where do you get the nylon.
dbabicwa

Post by dbabicwa »

Hi there

what's the 5050 width pls? I'm after min. 400mm.
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Hey db, its 330mm. When I say I ordered more its only enough for three pair.
I ordered it from Skilab. Good folks to work with.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Miller Studios has a few different nylons, that's all I use now.
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Thanks for the comments. Just ordered from Vince. Got some clear and a little textured.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Awesome. I've never used the textured stuff, but I checked out some of it at Vince's shop. Really cool looking stuff. I didn't like the idea of it before seeing it, but turned out I liked it. Seems like it might hide scratches a little better? You'll have to share your results with it.

The last pair I did was with that clear nylon with graphics sublimated on it, over a bamboo veneer. That clear nylon is amazing stuff, crystal clear.
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Yeah, Vince says the textured is getting reordered by some of his customers.

He also wondered if the snow might slide off the textured better? He's waiting for feedback.

Twizz, those skis with the native graphics over the bamboo are sweet. Now i need to figure out graphics on a computer, it never ends...
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Well, probably not the first to do this but.... didn't realize there was a protective coating on the nylon top sheet and had a 50/50 chance to get it right. You got it, peal coating down.
Comes of easily and may be able to reuse.
I think I could re press, but I use Entropy with heat and wonder if re heating is an issue?.. I could also re press with west system and no heat.

Anybody been here before?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you can recook the entropy under pressure, you may have to cook it hotter to pass the glass tranistion temp and get good bond.~200F and up.
you may have to abrade and clean to get a good bond also.
I have not done this but several people on here have.-I am always worried about this so I triple check.
Just find out what side has the peel and write on it with a marker so when you layup that's up, its gets peeled off so no worries.
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

Thanks MM, these are my son's pair and he selected a sweet fabric for the top. If this works im golden.
I tried talking with entropy but the tech guy was out today.
Hoe long would you cook?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Long enugh to cure the new epxy 30min minimum.
Toddh77

Post by Toddh77 »

Does anyone have any experience with having Miller Studio back flood the clear nylon with white epoxy coat?

The sublimated white nylon scratches easily and leaves pretty bad white marks wherever the scratches are. I was hoping that using clear might be better looking after some use. My concern is with bonding after it's been back flooded with white. Does the epoxy coat need to be abraded or treated?

Anyone tested it vs. the white nylon which comes abraded and flamed?