b2therye's ski's

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

The voltage regulators from china are really dimmers as well. Pretty much the same as what I use. If they don't have a heatsink you definitely need one.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

b2therye wrote:I could use sicomin if i got a silicone vacuum bag.

did you make your heat blankets or buy them?

Also i'm finding it hard to source a bevelled router bit for the sidewalls...

which kinetix did you use falls? R104? was it any good?
I made my heat mats.
I use a straight router bit in my laminate trimmer with a bevelled base plate to rout the sidewall bevel
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

My layup takes about 25 mins to get to 100°c and I leave it there for 10 mins then switch off the power till it cools to 80°c before I pull it out.
I got sick of wasting time watching the sestos controller cycle on and off, I also found it struggled to get over 90°c through the ssr.
What I do now is plug both mats straight into the wall and control the temps manually by switching them on and off. They sit at 100°c no problem, when it hits 101 I turn off the power, 2 mins later it hits 99 I flick the power on.
Its easier and works better that way
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I say just do up the SSR and PID. It's nice to just turn it on and walk away. Before I had my PID straightened out I used to sit there and turn the physical switches on and off. That get's old real quick. Once I figured out the controller my temps don't go more then plus or mins 2 deg F and it's at temp within 10 minutes.
falls

Post by falls »

Kinetix R240.
Worked well in summer with higher temp. Easier wet out of fabrics and reliable cure. I had trouble in cold moist winter conditions to get a good cure. Ended up using heat blanket to keep it at 30c for 8 hours.

I have 2 blankets now. Both bought from America. Prob $1000 for the 2. There are a lot of Chinese companies on Ali baba that make silicone heat blankets for what seem like low prices. Never gave it a go but certainly could be an option at a lower price point. Any made in aus blankets I got quoted were pretty expensive even compared to shipping from MEI in the USA.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

another option for controller is line voltage thermostat. no need to build anything plug-and-play :)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

Why not use an energy regulator? it basically switches on an off to regulate the heat (I work for a company who makes grills/toasters and ovens).

we use them all the time to regulate the heat of our toasters etc. i can send you one if you want goz.

i like the idea of using an epoxy that ski/snowboard specific.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You mean a thermostat? That's basically what a PID does, just with more adjustability and accuracy (which is required if you don't want any funky camber/rocker variations you didn't plan for).
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

b2therye wrote:Why not use an energy regulator? it basically switches on an off to regulate the heat (I work for a company who makes grills/toasters and ovens).

we use them all the time to regulate the heat of our toasters etc. i can send you one if you want goz.

i like the idea of using an epoxy that ski/snowboard specific.
Will they work on 100v? Ive only got about 9 boards to build before I move to Japan so if it wont work on the 100v jp power theres not much point sending one.
I appreciate the offer though mate ;-)
falls

Post by falls »

moving to japan? hell yeah!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

We export to the US so we have 110v energy regs.

Problem solved
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

falls wrote:moving to japan? hell yeah!
Yes!!!
10 mins from noz
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

b2therye wrote:We export to the US so we have 110v energy regs.

Problem solved
Ill take 2 ;-)
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Those oven type switches sound like they are worth a try. Do you also have a digital temp display at work too? If so you might be set.
Im going to set my pid to on/off mode anyway. Variable duty cycle control of a relay is a waste of time, a relay is just an on/off so having your pid trying to bring it on at a controlled rate seems a waste to me. An ssr can switch pretty quick so I have set my variance to only 2 degrees. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

chrismp wrote:You mean a thermostat? That's basically what a PID does, just with more adjustability and accuracy (which is required if you don't want any funky camber/rocker variations you didn't plan for).
Nah, this is a Energy Regulator, http://www.egoproducts.com/en/products/ ... egulators/

We do have thermostats too if you want goz.

We don't have digital temperature displays but we do have analog ones