CNC Mogul reviews?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

originskis

CNC Mogul reviews?

Post by originskis »

I know some people on here have looked into the CNC Mogul machine (http://cncmogul.com/). I know Donek has one but does anyone else have one and if so what do you think? The price is unbeatable, so I'd like to get one if they're worth the coin... Thanks errybody
switzch

Post by switzch »

I have a mogul and generally happy with it. Works great for cutting MDF and I also have a drag knife that works great. No issues at all.

Over the winter I was experimenting with profiling bamboo cores with the Mogul and the machine seemed to handle it alright. I did have some cores come out not perfect (Z height was off by just under 1mm) but I suspect this was due to running the machine too fast and not having the best tool paths. I was a complete noobie when it comes to CNCs & CAM software so my learning curve was steep to say the least.

The mogul doesn't have a frame - I built my mogul on a table made by 2x4's and 4x4's and on top of that had an MDF vacuum table that worked great for hold down. My table started to sag by a few mm's over time so I suggest that you get some 8020 extrusion and build a proper table/frame to eliminate that. I have seem some smart designs where the mogul X axis L brackets (orange pieces that hold up the two rails) were attached directly to extrusion which basically ensures a straight line with no chance of sag.

It also comes with a bunch of software that would cost lots of $$.

I have seen mixed reviews of the mogul. Some people have trouble with some of the cheaper components breaking and others have no problems. Overall I would say if you are new to CNC and looking to learn the mogul is a great beginner CNC that can tackle all aspects of ski building.
winter is coming..