foam-core skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

foam-core skis

Post by bigKam »

Kelvin just made a pair of skis where the core material is foam. they are impressively light. we'll have photos up soon, and Kelvin will spill the beans...

stay tuned.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Sounds great! Good work!
About the foam cores, I heard a lot of people complaining about foam-core skis that these were losing camber and stiffness after a while. What is your opinion on this? Or is this, if this is really the case no big drawback because of the weight reduction you obtain using foam?

Buuk
BigG

Post by BigG »

I would like to make a foam core myself.

There are some things to keap in mind however.
Foam microcells or easier to collapse and therefore if the ski bends extremely it will damage some microcells. I presume the result will be some camber and stiffness loss in that case.

In my eyes foam cores are more for hardpack than off-piste or how do you call that.

My question is however how bendable is such a core compared to a wood core before lamination.

Geoff
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

BigG wrote: Foam microcells or easier to collapse and therefore if the ski bends extremely it will damage some microcells. I presume the result will be some camber and stiffness loss in that case.
And what about a hybrid wood-foam ski... this gives a light and durable ski. But I don't know what technical problems this brings along.

And how do you mount the binding to a foam ski? Is there a kind of metal plate or something simular?

Buuk
BigG

Post by BigG »

A Hybrid core could be done but the same problem will occur in the foam.
The result is probably better but you have to keep in mind both parts will have quite different results under stress and what will happen on the contact surface between both?

Most of the time a small kind of aluminum alloy plate is incorporated into the foam or resin is injected into the foam near the mounting places.

Geoff
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have built plenty of foam core longboards and I have found that as long as you use a high quality foam (pvc foam, not pu foam) the final stiffness and shape retention is fantastic. we have lost any curvature over time, plus you can pre shape the pvc foam (ie. Divinycell) with some heat. another reason to make sure that you use a good foam, not a cheaper pu foam, is that the cell strength comes from its compression strength. the compression strength on cheaper foams can become low enough to be crushed by some ski presses. high end pvc foams have compression strengths over 200psi. this is how end grain balsa becomes so impressive...it crushes at 1800psi!!!!
mattman

Post by mattman »

correction: "have NOT lost any curvature..."
BigG

Post by BigG »

Airex is another example of PVC foam.
Airex is made by Baltek which is also making high quality end grain balsa.

I know Davide has been playing around with balsa. His first test wasn't very successful because the balsa wasn't very homogenic. He planned to order some at Baltek but until now I didn't get any feedback about that.

http://files.alcancomposites.com:8080/d ... _sheet.pdf
http://files.alcancomposites.com:8080/d ... _sheet.pdf

Geoff
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Here is a quick preview. I still need to do some finishing to the skis.
The core is airex c70.75 and was very flexible before layup, but the resultant ski is very stiff. Once I'm done with them, I'll post up the details.

-kelvin
BigG

Post by BigG »

I'm wondering if they are sucking up a lot of epoxy.
The maximum length I can get for the moment is 1500mm.

How do you route/shape the airex core?
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Good call going with a wood veneer. I can't wait to try as the result is beautiful. What did you use for the topsheet?

Also did you use white abs for the sidewalls or is that the foam exposed? Any special treatment for a foam sidewall?
- Ben
Alex

Post by Alex »

I use airex c 70.75 in the shovel area (first 20cm) of my current ski. It shows no signs of fatigue yet (after about 20 days hard skiing).

You can see the airex here (green part):

Airex has very small closed cells so it is not sucking a lot of epoxi.

With an airex core you definitely have to use sidewalls or alternatively a cap construction (as i do) - the foam is way to soft.
BigG

Post by BigG »

My concern about capped skis is the strength at the edges. Take for example a lot of the Atomic skis have only about 2-3mm directly above the edges and the thicker part begins 2 mm from the ski edge.

I like the look of capped ski and would like to make one in the future but I have some concerns.
Alex

Post by Alex »

You may use a partially capped construction (as Dynastar uses e.g.) with sidewall in the middle of the ski and capped at tip and tail. This provides strength at the edges where it's needed.
BigG

Post by BigG »

Great idea.

I have a pair of dynastar skicross pro since last year and they are really great to ski.