bell style router bit

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mgmarshall

bell style router bit

Post by mgmarshall »

Does anyone know where one could find the bell-shaped router bit in Canada? It looks like I can only find ones online for $150 ish! Yikes!

ps. this would be the bit used to trim excess material once the ski is pressed. I would like to avoid building some sort of jig and just run the base of the router on the base of the ski...

Thanks.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm not entirely sure what you're after, what is a bell-shaped router bit?

Do you want to put a straight bevel on the side of the ski after you've trimmed off the flashing and sanded the sides flush with the edge?

Or do you want a roundover bit to put a curved filet on the side?

I use a dovetail bit that I added a bearing to. I can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much, probably less than $50 total for the bit, bearing, and a shaft collar to keep the bearing in place. I use a cheapo Harbor Freight trim router, running it on the base.
mgmarshall

Post by mgmarshall »

Hey Twizzstyle,

A bell shaped bit is another name for a undercut chamfer bit. Pretty cool piece of kit, but apparently hard to come by.

http://www.festoolcanada.com/power-tool ... 5mm-492668

I had never thought of just using a dovetail bit! That is just genius. How do you secure a bearing to the shaft, or does it just float?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

If you are just going to run the router on the base I would shim it to achieve the angle. This way you can make any degree you want and not be limited to what is available to buy.

sammer

Post by sammer »

One of these is cheaper than the one you posted.

http://www.blankslateskis.com/router-bits/

But the Dr's idea is way cheaper than both.
Plus it makes your router base bigger and less tippy.

I've got one like Twizz and have successfully used it a few times.
But most times end up having to fill the gouges when the bearing comes off the ski edge.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah you definitely have to be careful about keeping the bearing on the edge, but I generally do fine.

I sized my bearing so its outer diameter is just slightly smaller than the cutting diameter of the router bit. This gives me a small lip on the sidewall above the edge, for filing edges over the life of the ski. You want this lip. The bearing is held in place with a shaft collar - its stuck between the collar and the actual head of the router bit, so it can't budge.

Mine looks just like the one linked above from BlankSlate, I just have a shallower angle.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Dr. Delam wrote:If you are just going to run the router on the base I would shim it to achieve the angle. This way you can make any degree you want and not be limited to what is available to buy.

This is the method I use also. I use double sided stick tape.A tilt router base would be perfect if your make of router offers one.

Working on a router table for general wood working projects but looking to use it for ski building work too.