Switching bindings

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skierguy

Switching bindings

Post by Skierguy »

My brother and I are beginning the preliminary designs of our first few skis. One question that has come up is that of the best way to mount bindings. We are looking to build alpine skis and I have concerns that the mounting of bindings (or should I say remounting bindings between skis) may be a little more complicated than that of mounting tele bindings. I guess my question is has anyone come up with a system that allows the easy transfer of bindings from one set of skis to another?

We were thinking of something similar to the system that LINE came up with a few years ago. However it looks like they have abandoned that system as well.
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

powdercow

Post by powdercow »

The inserts shown above works well if:
a) everyone who is going to ride the skis has the same size boots
b) you put in inserts for each of the different boot sizes
c) you mount your skis with demo bindings

Also I should note that lots of non-demo type bindings have up to 20 mm of adjustability so you can go up or down one boot size.

I personally am planning on using some cheap used demo bindings to help me get the mount point dialed in. If I like a ski enough to keep riding it I will switch the bindings over to my regular salomons.
- Ben
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of experimenting with a system that will allow quick changes to the ski set up in the parking lot. A plate mounted binding system would permit different mounting locations via inserts. Allowing the bindings to be mounted in traditional location (think factory recommendations) or moved forward or backward (+ 2”, + 4”, centered, ect.). It would also allow the testing of different skis with one set of bindings. Also with two of us working on different ski designs it would allow us to ride each others skis. Has anyone tried any thing like this?
Greg

Post by Greg »

I would definitely recommend finding a pair, or two of old demo bindings. I have a couple pairs setup with demo bindings, and it is really great to adjust the balance of the ski in the liftline. Plus, if you are working with strange ski shapes (like reverse camber) it is really nice to have a binding with an adjustable toe and heel piece. Sometimes you might think a ski rides terribly, then a little binding adjustment and you have an awesome ride.
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Thanks Greg, I guess I had a misconception of Demo bindings. I was under the impression that only the heel piece moved (essentially changing the rider’s position on the ski). I guess I will have to look into this a little more as that may be the best option.

How much adjustment forward and aft is allowed by a demo binding? I have a rather large foot (30.5), will this affect the amount of adjustment in the demo bindings? And finally what are the drawbacks to using demo bindings? (weight, ?...)
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Demo's are heavier and have a little more slop. The larger your feet the less you will be able to adjust but I still think with 30.5 you will have some room to move, it just depends on the model you get.
- Ben
collin

Post by collin »

Skierguy wrote:Thanks Greg, I guess I had a misconception of Demo bindings. I was under the impression that only the heel piece moved (essentially changing the rider’s position on the ski). I guess I will have to look into this a little more as that may be the best option.

How much adjustment forward and aft is allowed by a demo binding? I have a rather large foot (30.5), will this affect the amount of adjustment in the demo bindings? And finally what are the drawbacks to using demo bindings? (weight, ?...)

Some demo bindings have a fixed toe like some Solly's, a lot don't though. I just picked up a pair of Atomic Centro 4.12's on ebay for $40. Demo bindings can be hard to find not attached to a ski. One "disadvantage" not mentioned in they sit a bit higher off the ski. One good place to look is TGR. You could probly pick up some Marker demo's there for $50.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Thanks everyone, it looks like I will have to start looking for demo bindings. That is not to say I have given up on the idea of the binding plates... but as usual the people on this site have provided a wealth of information and experience. THANKS!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have two pairs of demo bindings, one is an old pair of markers and the other is solomon. Both adjust at least an inch or two in the toe. I found one pair at a ski swap (I bought the skis as well) and the other pair I found in a pile of junk marked "FREE" outside a house in Seattle. They were strapped to a pair of 210cm straight skis. All told though, I have found that by just collecting older bindings, you can outfit many pairs of skis for pretty cheap.