Flotoma Snowboards

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

As has been said this is not a cheap hobby.
Especially for your first board you need to have an epoxy you can work with.
That tap stuff you linked to only has 15min gel time, you will run out of time.
The resin research will cost you probably twice as much but you can decide what hardener to buy.
For your first board double how long you think it's going to take.
Shipping is included in the price from them and it works.

http://www.resinresearch.net/index.html

Do some homework.

You can thank me later!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
pmg

Post by pmg »

15 mins gel time really is much too quick. As the others said, your first layup will take time. I would go for at least 60 mins gel time so you don't get into time trouble.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

nistler wrote:
TAP Epoxy seems expensive. I've used QCM/Forrester and Resin Research. I liked Resin Research because it wets out nicely. I always had to warm up QCM to get it to wet out thoroughly. Just bought Entropy Bio Resin (going for the green products) and gonna give that a try. I heard good things about it and it's cheaper that TAP. If Entropy doesn't do the trick for me, I'll go back to Resin Research.
Really, its expensive? $35 for hardener and epoxy is the cheapest I've found, plus I wouldnt have to pay shipping. Where do you guys buy your epoxy if its cheaper then that?
I was looking at the 2 gal kit, $187.95. The resin/hardener ratio is 1:1. I just bought a 1.5 gal kit (2:1 ratio) of Entropy shipped for $143. I think Resin Research is even cheaper.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

pmg wrote:15 mins gel time really is much too quick. As the others said, your first layup will take time. I would go for at least 60 mins gel time so you don't get into time trouble.
I timed my last lay-up and it took me 35min from mixing the first batch to inserting the layup into the press. That's having everything laid out in order ready to go before I mixed my first batch. Prep and efficiency is key. You can't waste time looking for tools, mixing sticks, cups, rags, etc. I mixed 2 batches for the layup. Mixing time by hand is about 2-3min each batch. Once you mix the resin the clock starts ticking.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i get 5gal/1gal from Forrest when I need it.
It's about 350-400 bucks depending on their price and shipping.

I've gotten over 40 decks out of a 5 gal kit but i budget for about 30. So it's about 13.33 per board.

That's not why I use it, it just so happens that my favorite epoxy seems to be one of the more affordable as well :).
Doug
nistler

Post by nistler »

I completely forgot to look at the cure times. Im used to working with UV polyester resins and there is no work time for that. Im probably going to get resin research from fiberglass supply because I still need some vacuum materials.
sammer

Post by sammer »

The resin research epoxy from fiberglass supply only lists fast hardener.
That still won't be enough time.
skidesmond has a ton of experience and it still takes him more than 35mins to do a layup. I bet the majority of mine are longer than that.
Buy direct from resin research (2000CE) and get slow hardener, your going to need the hour.
1.5gal set is only $111 inc. shipping and hazmat. Should be enough for a few boards with wastage.
You won't only build 1 board.

You're gonna need a decent scale as well, something that's accurate in grams.
And if you've only worked with polyester resins be aware that when mixing epoxy you must follow the mix ratios for the specific product.
In the case of RR 2000, 44g of hardener for every 100g of resin.
More or less and your epoxy won't harden!
Trust me on this.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

falls

Post by falls »

I made a pair the other day by myself for the first time and it took me an hour and 20 minutes from start of mixing to get them in the press!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
pmg

Post by pmg »

Last time I did a full VDS cover for my full wrap edges, it took me nearly 2 hours :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

My last layup was probably the fastest layup I ever did. I spent probably an hr our 2 prepping everything before I poured the first drop of resin. Everything was laid out in reverse order, everything was wiped spotless, bases attached to the cassette, scale was out, etc and gloves on. All I had to do was mix, layup and put the layup in the press. I use to do dry runs for timings and to nail down the process, makes notes so you don't forget things.
nistler

Post by nistler »

sammer wrote:The resin research epoxy from fiberglass supply only lists fast hardener.
That still won't be enough time.
skidesmond has a ton of experience and it still takes him more than 35mins to do a layup. I bet the majority of mine are longer than that.
Buy direct from resin research (2000CE) and get slow hardener, your going to need the hour.
1.5gal set is only $111 inc. shipping and hazmat. Should be enough for a few boards with wastage.
You won't only build 1 board.

You're gonna need a decent scale as well, something that's accurate in grams.
And if you've only worked with polyester resins be aware that when mixing epoxy you must follow the mix ratios for the specific product.
In the case of RR 2000, 44g of hardener for every 100g of resin.
More or less and your epoxy won't harden!
Trust me on this.

sam
http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/cartad ... u=G02-0225
You just had to scroll down a little to see the slow hardener
Ill probably get the 3 quart kit.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

sammer wrote:The resin research epoxy from fiberglass supply only lists fast hardener...
sam
It's been my experience that if you call Fiberglass Supply they will tell you they have all the Resin Research hardeners in stock. You can buy individual quarts of just the hardener if desired.
I like the RR system because you can mix different products together to customize the properties.
They also have the little plastic disposable dispense pumps. These meter out one liquid ounce per squeeze. I use these with RR epoxy and hardener, makes mixing by volume quick and easy. Mixing by weight requires a good gram scale. Did that plenty of times using good old QCM epoxy. If you want to be super accurate with the mix ratio you can weigh the amount of hardener dispensed per squeeze to characterize the pump. Then use a gram scale to accurately measure batches of epoxy into cups. Then during the build session, grab a cup and pump one shot of hardener into it, mix and go. Epoxy on demand with little waste.

Cheers,
-S
sammer

Post by sammer »

nistler wrote: http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/cartad ... u=G02-0225
You just had to scroll down a little to see the slow hardener
Ill probably get the 3 quart kit.
Oh ya... I see it now.

Shif, I used to use the pumps with the west system stuff but found I wasted a lot priming them. A few times I'd squirt 3 pumps of hardener only to find the second or third pump was only half volume.
Scale with good batteries and basic math skills is almost fool proof.

Still have a pack or so of the west pumps collecting dust somewhere in the dungeon.

sam

SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Sam, I try to avoid waste during priming and clean-up by just pouring the stuff back in the container. Can get messy taking the pump apart but you learn how to not waste the stuff inside. Also I've learned to press the pump down with a steady slow force to avoid burps and bubbles. And control the rate the spring raises it back up. Too fast of return can introduce bubbles. And you gotta make sure the pick-up end of the tube does not get blocked by resting on the bottom of the container.

But you're right, there is nothing better than a good accurate gram scale for measuring these materials.

-S
nistler

Post by nistler »

I'm getting ready to buy the epoxy and vacuum stuff but the vacuum film is making the shipping expensive because of how long it is. What's the difference between the strechlon or normal vacuum film and stuff like painters plastic?